New Philips HUE devices

Sure, that’s good if it works for your use case. To check your local codes, some of them don’t like you to not have an obvious way to turn off power to the light fixture. Nanny state stuff but it is there in some places.

Hmm, all of my ceiling fans in my house have constant power. They also have wall switches, but they are just wireless remotes. It was like that when I bought it. Not sure why there would be a code that you have to have a switch to cut the power to a light. You don’t have this for any wall outlet other than the from the breaker box which would do the same thing for an overhead light with constant power. Not saying there is a code saying different, just saying it doesn’t really make a ton of sense.

Lots of the codes don’t make sense. Where it exists, it’s supposed to keep people from electrocuting themselves if they try to replace a lighting fixture.

By the way a lot of places in the US have in the housing code that there must be a toggle switch for an overhead light within 6 feet of the door as you enter in attic. But they don’t have the same code for a basement. Just weird how these things get propagated. I still think the attic one was started by some city inspector who was afraid of bats. :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha I’m sure a bat or animal scared a guy once and he wasn’t going to have that happen again!

I really wish SmartThings had integration with the Tap or Dimmer switch.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be nice.

SmartThings does work well with the SmartenIT 3 toggle switch, which is battery operated and works well as a wall mount or tabletop device.

does anyone know if the new bulbs and hub are Zigbee? will the old bulbs work with the new hub?

They’re certainly zigbee. Zigbee Light Link. (ZLL)

Are you asking if the new Phillips bulbs will work with the SmartThings V2 hub without a hue bridge? Because that’s still not recommended.

If you’re asking if the new Phillips bulbs will work with the old Phillips bridge, yes they should. And the old Phillips bulbs should work with the new Phillips bridge.

If you’re asking if the new Phillips bridge will work with the SmartThings hub (v1 or v2) , honestly I don’t know if anybody knows for sure yet. But I guess we’ll find out soon. :sunglasses:

i hope you are right, weird that there is no mention of zigbee in the new packaging…not even on the hub itself… according to the pictures on the link posted by jhoff80

It’s officially releasing on Tuesday, I doubt the packaging will change much. Even if they’re downplaying the Zigbee thing, it would HAVE to be based on that for old bulbs to be compatible with the new hub and new bulbs to be compatible with the old hub, which yes, they all are (based on the Reddit thread I linked).

I doubt they’re “downplaying” it any more for the new stuff, it’s never been prominent on the box. It’s been on the edge, which I don’t think we see in the pictures of the new model.

Here’s one of the older ones in an unboxing video, the zigbee logo is small on the bottom of the right side.

The hub has the FCC number, and that application included a Zigbee test.

They pushed the new app as well:

1 Like

thanks Jd :grinning:

The recently released Dimmer uses ZigBee Light Link. Is that any different from ZigBee HA?

It’s a slightly different profile of Zigbee. The commissioning onto the network is different, it only uses a subset of the Zigbee frequency channels, and ZLL devices won’t always be able to repeat messages to ZHA devices. All of the Hue devices released so far use ZLL, as do many of the zigbee lights (like Osram). Some ZLL devices can still connect to a ZHA network and all of the clusters/commands are the same; which is why ST can directly control Hue bulbs and other ZLL devices.

The dimmer looks to be the same device as the Lutron Connected Bulb Remote, which does work with ST as a secondary controller to directly control zigbee bulbs. As of right now, it will not be able to be used by ST as a 4 button remote to control other devices. The hub won’t see or receive commands from the dimmer remote. Check out the Lutron thread for more info.

I have one of these on order (delivered tomorrow), so I’ll test it out.

1 Like

Just picked up a couple dimmers at the local BB. Gonna hook them up tonight, although I imagine if I want ST to recognize them I will have to uninstall the HUE hub and install it again. Doesn’t sound like there’s any real benefit for ST integration at this point, so I may hold off on that.

What dimmers are you referring to? Lutron or the Hue dimmers?

It will be a while before we know more, but I think these are in fact two different devices, just serving a similar purpose and having a similar form factor. It’s not going to make a big difference either way, except that I don’t believe the Lutron connected bulb remote will be able to be paired to a Philips Hue Bridge, even though it can be paired to a Phillips hue bulb. We’ll see.

Mine are paired to the hue bridge. Hue doesn’t recognize it, but the remote flashes that it has been paired. That allows me to control the hue bulbs by remote or app.

Or did you mean something else?