New App Missing Key Automation Features

So I have been refusing to move over from the Smartthings Classic app to the Samsung Connect based apps and even though I like the look of this new app MUCH better, there are some important and useful features that Samsung still seems to refuse to carry over from the classic app.

• You can not change the Smart Home Monitor state via automation
  • You can not unlock the door in an automation of any kind. I want the door to unlock when I get within the geofence.
  • You can not manage your door codes for your smart locks like you can in the classic app

God only knows what I will find next. Fluffy new UI is nice but doesnā€™t trump really useful features. Trust your customer base to use them appropriately.

Hereā€™s the community FAQ on the differences:

SPECIFIC differences between "SmartThings Classic" (the V2 app) and ā€œSmartThings (Samsung Connect)ā€ (the V3 app)

You can manage lock codes. Go to add an automation and choose Smart Lock Guest access. Email support and request the others.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve actually been trying out some of the new IF/THEN custom automations but after I create one, over time it will disappear from the list. This has happened about 5-7 different times.

But it gets stranger, if I have a notification built into the rule and the automation disappears, Iā€™ll see the notification appear as if the automation in running but in reality it hasnā€™t run. Itā€™s really frustrating. To boot, my automations that are triggered on mobile presence work 50% or less of the time.

Strangest yet is that these custom automations do no show up in IDE, so I canā€™t find the rules that have disappeared or try to understand what has happened to them or recover them.

Iā€™ve been going back and forth with support and they have yet to find any reason why this is happening. In the meantime I have ā€˜phantomā€™ notifications of automations that arenā€™t running and automations that work 50% of the time.

Iā€™m unsure if I should start a separate topic but Iā€™ve found no other coverage of this issue in the forum.

My guess is that with all of the work going in the background the database backups get crossed, thus removing the automation in the UI but leaving the automation in the engine.

Newer features such as Scenes, Smart Lock Guest Access and Custom Automation will not appear in IDE

Thanks, I assumed as much and that will make tracking this down even harder.

OMG that is awesome. Thanks for pointing that out. Not sure why I had to enable that separately. It was built into the Smart Home Monitor in the old app. Thanks! Now to just get them to stop making us do other things security related manually. Why should I have to go into ā€œArmed Awayā€ manually? So ridiculous. Defeats the whole purpose of automation.

It was a separate app in Classic too called ā€œSmart Locksā€ :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like