New Android App 1.7.60.23 January 27

Galaxy S10 + (Running Android 11 + OneUI 3.0) and S9

My s20 and tab s7 are one ui 3 and s9 and mi max on android 10. Which region are you in?

US, NA02 Shard

This is starting to verify my EU shard theory

EU01 euwest1
no sign of the issues you see Andreas
S10 droid 10

Thanks Mike!

Guys i SOLVED the device latency issue!

It appears that the latency comes from the quick controls automations section inside your devices. If you used to make automations through them, then loading when opening a device which inludes quick automations gets worse, the more you add. You can solve this by going to automations, scroll to the bottom tap the 3 dots at the top right, tap delete, select all the quick control automations and delete them. Close the app, and clear its cache. Open the app and open a device which has quick automations inside. It should be fast to load.

• WARNING !!! Recreate the automations you had setup using the quick controls automations panel BEFORE deleting them!

Old loading time 8-10 seconds. Without quick controls automations setup 1-2 seconds.

Here are some screenshots:

@fido & @nathancu thank you for helping me troubleshoot this issue!

4 Likes

Interesting find @Andremain . I guess Quick Controls isn’t so quick after all.

3 Likes

Didn’t really do much Andrea’s you did all the troubleshooting
Glad you gained some speed back :+1:

2 Likes

I guess not! :grin: Just glad i fixed this. It was driving me crazy!

1 Like

Thanks anyway Mike. I really needed to cross reference some things in order to jump into conclusions

I’m still experiencing this. I looked and I do not see any ‘Quick Controls’ at the bottom of my list. However, I do have the Aeon Minimotes which I’m betting may be the reason since they put what was probably Quick Controls (which I was able to remove) at the bottom of the main list when I configured each button. And looking at what the buttons are configured with, they have all of the various devices I’m seeing loading slowly. I first tried changing the Minimote device handler from Aeon to the generic Zwave MultiButton, but that didn’t fix it. So, I’ll confirm when I remove the device types from the Minimote buttons if that fixes it, but the configuration of the buttons doesn’t seem to allow me to clear everything from the button. I might have to just delete them entirely, but I did not see them listed on the new apps device losing to re-add them if I do delete them.

UPDATE: Well that’s upsetting, the new app won’t delete the Minimotes. It just gives me and error message with a link that doesn’t work. AND, I tried to delete the Minimotes in the IDE, but no luck there either! Guess a support ticket is in my future…oh well…

UPDATE 2: I was able to delete the child buttons of the Minimotes in the IDE and that fixed my device pages opening slowly (smile)!

UPDATE 3: I was able to delete the Minimotes after deleting the ‘child’ buttons. I then was able to re-add the Minimotes and setup a button to turn off/on a device, and guess what, that device type page is still opening fast. Now I have to reprogram all the buttons again…FUN…

UPDATE 4: WELL… After configuring more buttons on the Minimotes, the device page loading slowness came back. Oh well, I guess I’m just going to have to do without the Minimotes in this new Samsung SmartThings world. Oh well…

@Andremain ‘THANKS’!

1 Like

Very glad i could help @DaWeav! I assume all your devices are now much faster compared to before.

App loads much quicker since I deleted all my quick controls. Thanks.

1 Like

anytime @Paul_Oliver ! Glad i could help!

So, I was able to get my Aeon Minimotes back in use. Instead of setting the Minimote buttons on their device page which caused all the drama, I instead used the Smart Lighting SmartApp to toggle the various devices On/Off using the button as a trigger. I used Smart Lighting instead of Automations since it showed which button was which on which Minimote (much less confusing), whereas Automations was just showed a list of multiple Pressed, Held, or Standby options listed four times all in a series. However, neither Smart Lighting nor Automations let me use the Held button option, or Standy either. The log registered the Held button, but the SmartApp or Automation didn’t trigger the action. That’s OK since I really want using the Held button option anyway. I take it back, obviously Smart Lighting doesn’t run locally since I unplugged the network from my hub and it didn’t work. Guess I’ll try Automations instead.

That device handler will need a complete overhaul to handle Newapp Properly.

Those minimotes are some of my last zwave devices, and they seem to be working great using ST’s stock handler called Aeon Minimote. Quick controls and everything show all 4 buttons

@DaWeav ,I haven’t tried Held yet as a quick control so I can’t speak to that, sorry.

Sorry John, you’re right. I had Aeotec - and the quad-4 device in my head. I liked how Eric did it but now with custom actions, etc. -
the minimote - lost my last one a year ago glad they built a stock DTH.

1 Like

I would like to use the native button integration, but on Android, when I have Minimote buttons assigned natively to various devices, all devices type pages for that type of device will really LAG (5 - 10 seconds) when I open them in the SmartThings app. Example, if I have a Smart Bulb assigned to a button, then all of my Smart Bulb device pages really LAG when I open them even though they are not assigned to any buttons. I don’t think the device page LAG happens in the iOS app though, just the Android app like @Andremain expanded above due to Quick Control settings which setting the buttons up nativity apparently uses.

Funny thing is, I’ve searched for a SmartApp and found a Button Controller SmartApp template from SmartThings, but it doesn’t work in the new SmartThings app. I then found one on Gethub by bravenel which does work in the new SmartThings app.

I sure hope that SmartThings fixes this Quick Control issue with the Android app so that I can just use the native Minimote integration.

UPDATE:

Well, nothing worked for local execution because I finally noticed why. The Aeon Minimote’s ‘Child Button’ execution apparently doesn’t run as local execution on the new SmartThings app like they did in the old SmartThings app as they used to work when offline. Even though the Aeon Minimote device handler shows local execution, the ‘Child Buttons’ that are created show ‘Cloud’. That’s just dumb!

I bought the Minimotes to handle things when the internet is down since SmartThings listed the Minimotes as local execution a few years ago when I bought them. Say it’s morning and the system is in Armed Stay and the internet is down or their SmartThings Cloud system is offline (which has been happening a lot recently), there’s no way to disarm/rearm the system unless these button controllers work local. So I would have to unplug the sirens and take the batteries out, but if I’m going somewhere, that sure defeats the purpose of having a SmartThings Home Security system.

I even changed the Child Buttons handler to use the SmartSense Button handler which shows local execution, and even though the button still worked, it didn’t do anything after I unplugged the ethernet from the SmartThings hub. So even when the Minimote and Child Button using the SmartSense Button device handler both showed ‘local’, it still didn’t work when the Hub was not connected to the internet.

So now I apparently need to find something else that WILL work when the internet or the SmartThings Cloud is offline if this is going to be the way that this new SmartThings ecosystem is going to be moving forward.

Another UPDATE:

I found a combination of settings that allow the Aeon Minimote buttons to work locally offline when the SmartThings Hub is not connected to the internet.

With the Aeon Minimote’s using the Aeon Minimote device handler, and the child buttons set to the SmartSense Button device handler, and then using the Smart Lighting SmartApp Automations with a button as the trigger to trigger devices that run local, it works when the SmartThings Hub is not connected to the internet. However, I read in another thread that the new STHM doesn’t execute locally, and I just confirmed that which REALLY STINKS!

1 Like