networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S2_FAILED vs ZWAVE_S0_DOWNGRADE

What country are you in?

Have you tried getting in touch with the lock manufacturer and asking them what controller they would recommend in your situation?

1 Like

UPDATED: I have now tried to pair the locks with the Fibaro HC2 hub. After 19-20 locks similar problems occur, i.e the pairing process takes longer and ends up with an unconfigured device not working. The manufacture code of the devices is for instance not read from the device.
Have I ran into some Z-wave limitations of any kind? How can two different hubs “react” the same way?

THanks
MArta

1 Like

Think about all of the features that a four passenger automobile has to have to meet legal and safety requirements. And yet a BMW May be very different in some ways than a .volkswagen. And one brand may have problems that another does not. It is the same with zwave hubs.

I honestly have no idea if there is an issue with the zwave standard as well. S2 is still very new.

It is very difficult for us to help you without the brand and model number of the locks.

And again, Zwave is not really intended for the use case you describe. It was meant primarily for residential lighting control of fairly small homes, without suffering from WiFi interference. The 4 hop minimum by itself limits its commercial uses. Most people have 2 locks, a few have 4. I’ve never heard of a zwave deployment with more than 20 except for one hotel project, and even that only used one lock per hub.

There is also the question of cost. If we knew what country you were in, we might be able to suggest a system designed for commercial use which would likely end up being less expensive for you. There are many systems designed for schools or small hotels or office buildings which provide for Management of several hundred locks. These use different protocols than smartthings, but they are tested and reliable.

Good luck with your project! Since smartthings engineering staff is looking into it, if there is a Z wave limitation they should be able to tell you.

Hello JDRoberts
We are testing with the Danalock Universal 3 lock!

OK, that’s a well-established company with up-to-date technology. They also announced last year that they are doing some multiunit projects for the Norwegian defense agency estates manager, including some apartment buildings and large offices.

However, although I don’t know for sure, my guess is that they are using the zigbee version of the lock for that, not the Z wave versions. Or perhaps they are putting a hub in each flat.

Since you have now had the problem with two different Z wave hubs, I suggest you get in touch with Danalock support, Explain your project, and ask for their help and recommendations.

1 Like