Network Error when saving Scenes

I see this is old discussion, but I am having same issue. Can.t add devices (thermostats) to a scene once I made the original scene with one thermostat. Get “Network Error” I have renamed all the thermostats differently to avoid confusion.

For everyone having this problem, are you attempting to add devices that have “child devices” to the scenes that are encountering this error?

I’ve been experiencing this same issue but it only happens for devices that have children. I can add any devices to my scenes (including custom device handlers) but it will only fail to save the scene if one of the selected devices has children.

As another test, I removed the children from a device, setup the scene, and then re-added the children and it worked fine and continues to work fine. I cannot edit the scene though :frowning:

Might as well add me to the list of people experiencing this issue. Having issues with automations not running as expected and trying to make changes to timing and such that can’t be saved due to the network error message. Also, having problems with an automation that uses iOS phone locations for two phones.

I am so having a problem where I cannot save scenes. If I change an existing scene, or try and create a new one, I get an error. This happens in both the classic and the new app. I can occasionally get one or two simple devices to add to the scene, but as soon as I try and set dimmer levels or color temps, the scene will refuse to save. I have a couple scenes that I created years ago that still work, but even if I try and delete and re-create, the new scene simply will not save. This literally makes the platform USELESS.

I discovered this morning that multiple devices in my scenes that would not save (“NETWORK ERROR”) didn’t actually have settings like on/off selected when I tapped into them. On the Scene screen, they appeared to be set (in this case, to “off” as it was a Goodbye scene) but no check marks on the specific device page. Once I explicitly set them to the desired state for the scene, I was able to successfully save the scene. Hope that helps some of you.

—Chris

1 Like

I’ll add to this, I have no ability to alter any scene. It throws an error

I have a similar problem.

I noticed that I can’t update a scene or an automation, but I can recreate the same scene / automation.

After forcing me to switch to an inferior app, this might be the last straw.

How in the heck has this issue NOT BEEN RESOLVED for over a year? The fact that we were forced to use the newer garbage app (it’s a worse experience through and through) is a terrible choice, and now add in the fact that I can’t even use my system like I want to. Great job Smartthings team!

well, i’ll keep trying, but i made a new Scene in the app, added a few of my devices. got the network error initially, then kept hitting save and it took…

In every instance I have received a network error while updating anything in SmartThings its been due to one of two things. 1) one of the devices in my scene was offline or 2) my app needed force closed and restarted. Those two things have fixed everyone.

I’m having the same issue. Force closing the app, and or using only online devices does not work.

I have had the same issue.
One simple workaround that functioned for me is that either in scenes or automations, you add one device / action at the time.
As such, the “Save” option is available. You can continue then adding more devices to same rule, still one at the time though.
(don’t ask the logic of it)
Let me know if it works for you.

I’ve been dealing with this for many months. Deleting the scenes in question completely and recreating them from scratch was the solution. Everything has worked flawlessly since.

Cool. Looks like I’m also having this issue. Super annoyed.

Ah, some light testing and realizing that I can save a scene if I don’t control a light’s color, and only control its on/off, and dimmer. That makes this feature useless for what I’m trying to do.

Have just been testing this in parallel, and come to the same conclusion. Setting the colour option cause the network save error. This feature is basically BROKEN!!

C’mon Smartthings Developers, sort this out!

Goodness me!
I am new to the ST system and I have to say VERY PISSED OFF hat basic functionality like this doesn’t work, and seemingly hasn’t been working for years!
What sort of a system is this???

1 Like

Same issue here.
By the way, I realised that I only have the issue when adding scenes where I set a colour to a light bulb. If I just set it to turn it on or off it works fine.

Same issue here. I sent a case in to Support. Hope that I get a response. I can’t believe this is a known issue that’s persisted for years. The weird part is that it just popped up. I’ve been able to create scenes and automations before with color. They are actually still working fine. Just can’t create or modify any now. Strange!

Yes color control is the problem, if it’s set than I get “Network Error” when saving. I had created some after xmas but can no longer edit them. I deleted all scenes in hopes of starting fresh, alas, f’d.