Need Testers: Android as Speech Device/Alarm

Thank you. Interesting; I have not seen the Strobe crash my TTSService on my devices; I wonder what’s different about yours. I’ve rewritten the TTSService heavily anyhow to make it more robust for the SMS feature, so perhaps it will work better soon.

The Android piece is currently awaiting publish approval from Google Play so that it can be directly downloaded.

Strobe and Notify crash my GS6 and my Nexus 7 (2012)… I still am not able to get ttsservice installed on my verizon galaxy nexus running android 4.2.2 it just says cannot parse.

What are you strobing? The Nexus 7 (2012) tablet has no LED light to strobe.

Nothing just saying when trying either of those options it causes ttsservice to crash

Matt, would you mind installing catlog or a similar log capture tool, starting it, crashing TTSServer, and reporting the problem to me please? I’m wondering if your tablet is not supporting something I expected something supported, so I need to add some handling.

The TTSService is now live on the Play Store, but it may take a bit for the latest update (handling if no flash support) to get published, so I’ll email out a new Beta.

Thanks

Thank you. Everyone who has sent me an email address (several of you merely messaged me from the board without an email address) has a fresh test package, Beta 1.

If you get crashes, please install a logging tool and look for “LANdroid”, sending me any errors you see.

Thanks.

All is working on both Nexus 7 and GS6 with your latest versions.

The Play Store thinks that my Nexus 7 (2012) is incompatible and refuses to Install. I guess I will still have to side load it.

2 Likes

@NWTony The newest device type and TTS no longer crashes. Is there a way to implement simple notifications and/or SMS to any phone? I realize you won’t get the spoken messages or tones but this way, we can still be notified of some event in written form.

Are you asking if SmartThings can send SMS to a phone without LANdroid or the SmartThings client on it? Sure. You don’t really need LANdroid for that; that’s really all the Remote LANdroid.groovy code does anyhow. But if you’d like, I can add the ability to send the text via normal SMS (and just a generic “SmartThings LANdroid Alert” SMS on Alarm/Strobe if the user requests it via preference.

What version of Android are you running? I believe I wrote the service to be 5.0 (Lollipop) and higher, largely because when I started this about two weeks ago, it hadn’t occurred to me that I’d post it out for the world. I was just scratching an annoying SmartThings itch. But I could probably safely move down to 4.4, for example, without any code changes.

Yes, standard notifications with the option of SMS to any phone would be great. This way, even if they don’t have Smartthings app installed any phone can receive text alerts.

I’m running Lolipop on my Nexus 7 (2012) which is slow as molasses, but works great with your software. It’s given my old Nexus a new purpose and life again. :grin:

This isn’t responsive to your question on pre-Lollipop versions, but FYI… I’m testing Beta 1 on Marshmallow and so far, so good.

I have updated the permissions; hopefully you can now install to the Nexus 7 (when running Lollipop) directly from the Play Store. Otherwise my site will be mostly in-sync.

I found a typo in the instructions:

Please correct line 6 in the instructions:

Line 6 should say:

1. Click on the My Devices tab

not Device Type tab

I am using Big Talker 1.1.3 to trigger my events to get LanDroid talking to me and just about everything works great except that I noticed nothing was talking when I set it to speak mode changes. Anyone else experience this? Does TTS recognize the following command? %locationname% mode has changed from %lastmode% to %mode%

It might be a Big Talker problem but I thought I would check here first.

Thank you. The next upload will fix that instruction.

There may be a bug in the @rayzurbock Big Talker. The token replacement isn’t happening, and then LANdroid can’t parse the resulting string.

From my installed version,
error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method contains() on null object @ line 2534

This corresponds to the second line:

if (settings.modePhraseGroup1.contains(location.mode)){
if (!(settings.modeExcludePhraseGroup1.contains(state.lastMode))) {

If you comment out that second conditional in processModeChangeEvent(), you’ll get the correct parsing and everything works.

Thanks for tagging me into this thread regarding the bug in BigTalker 1.1.3.
This issue regarding announcement of mode changes when an “exclude mode” was not configured has been corrected in the Beta branch with version 1.1.4-Beta2.

I’ll be releasing BigTalker 1.1.4 in the next week. The current Beta 1.1.4-Beta5 includes several bug fixes and some additional features. It can be found here: https://github.com/rayzurbock/SmartThings-BigTalker/tree/1.1.4-Beta

I’ve been a little confused over the proper TTS service. I think I understand it, but please tell me if I have it wrong.

The package you emailed had LANdroid.apk and TTSService.apk; the Play Store has LANnouncer.apk. These are all different variants of the TTS, right? The best one to use is the Play Store version?

The LANdroid app from the Play Store will not load to my tablet. Can you expand its permissions?

Thanks!

The name changed over time due to Google requirements. The latest is LANnouncer. You can also download it off of the KeyBounce website.