Need some quick advice on wiring a new condo... want ST

You’ll find several “building a new home” topics in the forums that should give you some ideas.

That said, it’s important to understand that everyone has different requirements for peace of mind when it comes to security systems.

For me personally, my minimum requirements for something that might be used in a life and death emergency is that it work when the power and WiFi are off, that it be professionally monitored 24/7, and that it communicate with the monitoring center via cellular, not Internet. SmartThings misses on all 3 of these points, so I use a different system altogether for security.

But there are other people who just can’t stand the idea of paying a monthly fee, and who believe they can monitor their system as well as a paid center. So they have a different priority list.

Here are a few of the more recent “I’m building a new place” topics to give you some ideas:

Meanwhile for the shortest answer: you want lots of Cat6 cable and lots of power outlets in every room. You want neutral wires available at all the light switches. You want both power outlets and cable both high and low in the rooms (high so you can plug in things like motion sensors and speakers.)

Cable and wiring is cheap to do while the walls are open, and literally hundreds of times more expensive to add later.

1 Like