I am having a house built and am working on my HA design so I can get things set up during the build to make the install a little cleaner. I have decided to go with ST for the HUB but could use some help on how to accomplish the level of automation that I am looking for. I have spent a lot of time on this forum learning and think I have a good idea of what to do but would like the advice of some of you that have actually used this stuff (I have only read about it).
I would like smart locks on the front door and door to the house from the garage, automate both garage roll up doors (via Evolve LFM-20 relay and multi sensor), irrigation system (just backed the Eve on Kickstarter), thermostat (lots of questions about this), landscape lighting, porch lights, interior lighting (for wake up and various scenes), Fans, a few outlets.
I still have so many questions that I can’t seem to find good info on:
- Do the Z-wave light switches act as mesh network relays like the duplexes do? Is it anything 120V hardwired acts that way?
- I really like the Ecobee3 thermostat, but don’t want even more sensors all over the house. Can I use the multi sensors that are part of the system to help control the HVAC or do I have to use theirs since it is not actually ST integrated?
- Are there wired buttons that can act as Scene buttons or do I have to use the app? The thing that almost pushed me to HA company was that ST doesn’t have a central control panel or scene buttons wired in next to switches. I really don’t like the idea of having to use my phone for everything, it just seems like a huge hassle.
- What is the best way to control a fan? It seems like the GE switch for instance is just a single button that you have to step through the fan speeds. Is there on that has 3 separate speed buttons?
- How do the dimmer switches work, are there any with a slide to dim?
- What is a good exterior camera to use at the front door? I don’t care for the doorbell cameras.
- I am thinking about wiring for my router and ST hub to mount centrally on the ceiling of the first floor. I am planning on buying some extra outlets to make sure the signal makes it upstairs well and wiring in a WiFi repeater for the upstairs so I get good strength up their too. Has anyone done something like this or have thoughts on what might work better?
I just want to make sure I am set up for future expansion (i.e. blinds, security, a few cameras, ???). Any help is much appreciated. I am supper excited to get this set up and start nerding out.
Thanks in advance,