I’ve been working on a project to mount a kindle Fire 7 on my wall. I’ve got the tablet and the mount, and now am working on the power.
The location has a wall switch that is no longer connected to lights but has power:
I’d like to mount a recessed outlet in the existing wall box (removing/replacing the box would risk ruining the wall) so I got a recessed outlet from Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-1-Gang-Recessed-Duplex-Power-Outlet-White-R52-00689-00W/202066691)
Now the problem I have is getting a USB plug into this outlet. The smallest USB power I could find is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KXFHHCQ - it has the additional advantage of the USB port being located on the side of the cube so the USB wire doesn’t need more clearance. However, even with the recessed outlet and the small cube, it still sticks out!
I need it to be flush so my tablet can sit on top it . The way I see it, there are 5 options:
- Replace the box inside the wall with a deeper box and that can house a regular usb outlet in a recessed manner. Rejected due to potential wall damage
- Find a 1 piece recessed outlet that already has a USB port built in. This would be ideal but I haven’t found one - any leads here would be appreciated.
- Find an even smaller USB cube that can fit inside my existing recessed outlet (which has a depth of 7/8"). Again - this would be ideal but I haven’t been able to find one.
- Find an inline, wire adapter that would convert 110v to the 5v USB A connector I need and just leave the box open behind the tablet. This one makes me a bit nervous but would consider it if I could find the right adapter.
- Find a thicker frame for the tablet that will hide the extra thickness of my current setup. I have a Fire-Mount and a MotifsEtc (from Etsy) that are not thick enough, can anyone point me to a Fire 7 (2017) mount that can accommodate an extra 1/2 inch behind the tablet?
If anyone has additional idea that I haven’t considered or solutions for the ideal scenarios I’ve outlined, I’d greatly appreciate it!