Need outdoor Motion/daylight sensor to turn single light switch on/off

I have three outdoor light fixtures (3+3 =6 chandelier bulbs) + (2 floodlight bulbs) that I want to simply turn on and off based on a wireless motion sensor. The 3 fixtures are tied to a single light switch.

I am hoping someone can point me to the only two items I would need to do this (that connect to each other):

1. Outdoor wireless smart motion sensor (battery powered).
  2. Smart Wall switch (to replace existing wall switch USA house, so likely 15amp) that can be triggered by motion sensor.
    (maybe I need a hub too?)

Strangely, I am having trouble finding a simple setup like this from all the companies out there, hoping that SmartThings universe has a combo that can make this happen??

Current possibilities:

1. Hue Outdoor sensor + replace all bulbs in 3 fixtures (expensive and overkill)
  2. (MAYBE) HomeKit switch + Hue Outdoor sensorā€¦ But want to avoid apple products/software.

Thanks in advance!

yes, to automate things youā€™ll need some kind of initial investment into a ā€œcontroller.ā€ Obviously Iā€™m going to recommend smartthings hub. They are not expensive and you can easily add more devices in the future without needing another hub.

So youā€™ll need a smart switch that works with smartthings and a motion sensor. Iā€™m not familiar with ā€˜outdoorā€™ motion sensors but it seems you found one anyway. Hue products work best with a hue hub. You can use a hue hub and a smartthings hub together if youā€™d like. Hue is expensive and proprietary though.

The outdoor caveat for motion sensors may raise the price quite a bit. I might suggest just protecting the motion sensor from the elements if possible. Like pointing it out a window or placing it under an eve or something. Any zwave or zigbee motion sensor is compatible with the ST platform and will work for your situation.

Any way, a ST hub, a ST compatible motion sensor, and a ST compatible in-wall switch will do what youā€™re asking. The automation part is included in the SmartThings(ST) phone app, called smart lighting. You can easily setup; turn on [switch] when [motion sensor] motion is [active], and turn off [switch] when [motion sensor] is inactive for xx minutes.

hub:

Motion Sensor:

In-wall Switch:

Matt has covered most of it. But Iā€™m not sure the Samsung motion detector will survive well outdoors, it depends on how exposed to the elements it is.

FWIW, there is a Zooz brand motion sensor intended for outdoors. Iā€™ve purchased several Zooz switches and dimmers and been very happy with them

http://www.getzooz.com/zooz-zse29-outdoor-motion-sensor.html

3 Likes