Need Input On Cameras Samsung SNH-C6414BN or SNH-P6410BN no cloud

(Joel W) #1
  1. Will I be able to view my camera within ST when away from home or office? I can’t use RTSP.
  2. Do I have to pay for cloud service?
  3. Does either camera work with a browser, I am on a Mac?
    The more in put the better. Thanks.

(Larry) #2

you can use rtsp with custom device type with “ip cam viewer basic” I believe you will still have to create a samsung smartcam account and initially have internet to set up the camera…

Once you know the local ip, you can put that into the ip cam viewer with rtsp url and then use locally or when away as long as you have a vpn to let you get into your local network.

(Joel W) #3

That is the problem, RTSP can’t be used here. So I am looking for a way to see my stream when away. The router here is locked down, no access allowed. The WiFi router is plugged into the main router and setup in bridge mode. So without access to the main router and the others in either bridge mode or extender mode can’t be done. My other cameras have an app to use when away. Does the Samsung? Also since both models setup with SmartThings can I view from the ST app when away?

(Larry) #4

why can it not be used… if it runs locally it is not going out on the net and no fireweall would block it unless you have a firewall even for the local net. it is rtsp running over tcp so all local

. ie here is my rtsp url

(Larry) #5

any yes the smartcam app can work from anywhere. works well. the biggest issues are

1. doesnt integrate well with smartthings. ie no integrated motion…

2. occassionlay they stop recording and i need to reformat the sd card , and reboot…
    reformat can be done in the smartcam app, and I keep all of then on either wifi or smarthings switches so i can reboot remotely.

(Joel W) #6

How can I get to RTSP if I have no access to the main router. Security requirements for this location are blocked, and under scrutiny, 24/7?

(Larry) #7

so no vpn into your network past the router… what about allowing outgiong… the smartcam app whould work as long as you allow port 80. that why i said rtsp would work if you could vpn into the network.

(Larry) #8

view of a camera from samsung smartcam app

after login screen with samsung smartcam app

multi screen view from ip cam viewer basic (aftermarket app), cameras are connected from local url, and since I am in NH not Mi, the mi cameras don’t appear, except for the one that shares a local url.

(Joel W) #9

OK I am game, how do I do VPN with no main router access?
The SmartCam App will that work for remote viewing?
And which camera do you suggest?

Hi

To answer 2 of your questions… (I use a SNH-P6410BN)

1. Yes - ST can see the camera as a camera, but not as a motion sensor (even though the camera has its own motion detection built in). The way I use mine is with the Smart Home Monitor app within ST. Within that I create a custom rule to detect motion from a ST motion sensor. On detection of motion, the rule will record from the camera for 2 minutes (options are 30 secs, 1 min, 2 min). This is all done within ST. The video clip is available for viewing in ST or downloading from ST. I don’t use the camera’s own recording facilities at all.

As well as this, you can view the live image of the camera from within ST at any time.

The only issue I have is that the camera keeps reverting back to 720p from 1080p for some reason.

1. Not at the moment, no. Recording in Smart Home Monitor is free, but apparently they plan to start charging in the future.

2. No idea, sorry.

(Joel W) #11

OK, I am trying to get the IP Camera viewer to work, but I am not sure what I am doing. So far my D-Link camera DCS-934L is not listed, tried loading it using my IP and user and pwd but hasn’t loaded. Retrieving video says working. That is what I have had before.

Also, what’s really nice with recording with the 6410 and SHM is that the recording starts 10 seconds before the event triggers it - camera must have some sort of internal buffer that always keeps the last 10 seconds of what it sees

(Joel W) #13

I don’t need online recording, so I guess there wouldn’t be a charge. I also don’t need the motion sensor, as I am just checking my front door. But out of curiosity doesn’t it record to the flash card? And also doesn’t the native app work along side ST to give motion alert at no cost?

(Larry) #14

the vpn would be ladybird the router. So if it is not your router or the
company will not set it up , u r sol.
I have Vpn on my cloud core/microtik routers as well as dd-wrt on my Asus
/net gear wifi routers. As far as cameras is this for outdoor or indoor. If
outdoor I believe they only have the one. And you need to drill to connect
to indoor unit from camera if outdoor is use 3 different ones. The newest
have reduced field of vision but you ran rotate and move up/down.

OK I am game, how do I do VPN with no main router access?
The SmartCam App will that work for remote viewing?
And which camera do you suggest?

(Joel W) #15

OK they will not set it up, and the Bridge routers are both Apple routers. The security people came down and said no and I mean no. They even control what I am allowed to have on a computer at home. Can you believe I am retired, and they still control my life. Well noit my regular life just my online life.

(Larry) #16

Why control what u have at home. Are u x nsa with compartmentalized
clearance it something. Or x computer related crimes?

OK they will not set it up, and the Bridge routers are both Apple routers.
The security people came down and said no and I mean no. They even control
what I am allowed to have on a computer at home. Can you believe I am
retired, and they still control my life. Well noit my regular life just my
online life.

(Joel W) #17

All I can say is that I was a contract employee that did specialized work. I did do building automation, but a specialized field for specific clients.

(Larry) #18

Lol . Did u know you’d have these restrictions when u did it. If not that sucks

All I can say is that I was a contract employee that did specialized work.
I did do building automation, but a specialized field for specific clients.

(Joel W) #19

I knew that there were some restrictions, but remember home automation is a new thing. When I did my first home it was X10 and the PC XT was big time and a 300 baud modem was fast. I don’t think I thought about what would be, and as I renewed my contract each year a few lines were added to the contract.

(Larry) #20

Back.on topic.these are the diff cams i use

Memory cards I use.