Need help getting Harmony Hub to see my newly added SmartThings device (HH can see others of my ST devices)

I’ve had my Harmony Hub/SmartThings configuration set up for a long time. For instance, I have a Harmony Hub activity to turn on certain lights (where the lights are configured through SmartThings.) Harmony Hub see the bulbs through SmartThings and triggers the lights when the activity is called. Today, I had to remove a smart light bulb physically and from SmartThings and replace it. So, I plug in the new smart light bulb (same type as my prior ones) and successfully add it to SmartThings with the bulb’s new name. And I can control it through SmartThings just fine. And here is where I forget what next to do. I know I need to get Harmony Hub to see the bulb connected to SmartThings so that I can add it to a Harmony Hub activity. Harmony Hub cannot see the newly added SmartThings device. So, if I’m correct, I need to go to the SmartThings app, go to my new bulb’s configuration, and go into the SmartApps tab. Once there, I see my Alexa SmartApp show up. However, unlike all the other similar bulbs I have in SmartThings, this new bulb does not have the Logitech Harmony Hub SmartApp show up in the list of available ones for that specific bulb device I configured.

I don’t remember the procedure to get Harmony Hub to show up as a smart app for that that specific smart light bulb in SmartThings.

And ultimately, I need Harmony Hub to see this newly added SmartThings device.

Remember, I have other similar bulbs set up in SmartThings, and each of them have both my Alexa and Harmony Hub SmartApps listed under each device’s SmartApps tab. I just can’t figure out how to get the Logitech Harmony SmartApp to show up under the SmartApp tab for this specific device. Please help! Thanks! --Kal

I went through this recently; somehow Harmony stopped seeing all my ST devices. Going through this procedure should allow you to authorize your new device:

Open the Harmony app on your tablet; in the ‘hamburger’ menu at the upper left choose “Harmony Setup” > “Add/Edit Devices & Activities” > “Devices” ; you should see “SmartThings” at the top of the list of devices. Select it and you will see options to Refresh, Re-Login, and Remove.

Refresh found nothing in my case so I needed to choose the ‘Re-Login’ option which then allows you to enter your SmartThings login credentials. You’ll then see the screen with the drop down box to select your hub and all your devices which you can select to make visible to Harmony; click authorize when you’ve selected the ones you want. When it completes (I had to do it a couple of times because it timed out the first time) you will see the devices it found and may need to respond to a few additional prompts grouping them as lights and plugs.

3 Likes

Also, you can create scenes and routines which can include harmony activities. For example, on voice control i have a Netflix and chill routine that turns on the tv to netflix and presses play, dims the lights low, makes sure it’s a tiny bit cold a/c wise… You get the idea. The harmony app is slow and clunky so I prefer to use it as little as possible only utilizing what ST can’t do.

So, yes, Burd, that is exactly what I ended up trying… and it worked! Something is broken from how it used to work. I never had to “re-login” before. But, now I seemingly do. And then the Authorization section pops up. That’s what I was having problems finding… the “Authorization” section, since getting to that has changed. I did find the following YouTube video that, at 9 minutes into the video, shows me the login process to SmartThings to get to that Authorization window, once the guy in the video signs into SmartThings. That gave me the clue to try to “re-login” to SmartThings from Harmony Hub app. Since I already had logged into SmartThings waaaay back when I set up Harmony a long time ago, I figure that I didn’t have to “re-login” in each time to SmartThings (from Harmony Hub app) every time I add something new to SmartThings. (Since I didn’t have to do that before.) Guess I will from this point onwards. Thanks! --Kal

Thanks for the tip, Matt_Behnken!

1 Like

I’ve had my Harmony Hubs for quite some time and this has been the process for adding new devices for as long as I can remember.

However, as stated already, I typically go the other way. I include the Harmony activity in a ST Routine. This way I have total control on when things happens because in the Harmony App, Home Controlls are only allowed after Harmony Activities.

Also, when creating a new Harmony Activity, include its equivalent ST Switch in the Home Control Section. This way, you get instant updates both ways.

1 Like

The Harmony integration is great (especially when combined with Echo for voice input) but can really become a handful to maintain… recently I took advantage of a holiday sale and decided to upgrade my old Harmony Touch remote to a Ultimate (I had the Touch already paired to my Harmony hub along with a Harmony Companion remote). I thought it would be easy but it turned into a days long project, figuring out how to unpair the Touch and pair the new remote to the hub without having to re-create my setup and devices from scratch.

Turns out there is no straightforward way to do it, at least known to me. It involved copying existing device settings to the new remote (of which about 10% somehow didn’t transfer and had to be re-done), multiple attempts using hidden ‘advanced’ menus in the Harmony app to un-pair the old remote (only 1 touchscreen remote can be paired to a hub, and the old remote became unusable as a standalone as it kept trying to sync with the hub. I wanted to continue using it as a standalone). The Harmony FAQ’s imply that pairing a new touchscreen remote simply replaces the existing one; as I found, this wasn’t true without a lot of undocumented trial and error configuration steps.

I finally was able to pair the new remote to the existing hub and still use old one standalone, but it involved creating a new Harmony account into which the old Harmony Touch was transferred. An additional wrinkle was that I now appeared to have two logical hubs (though only one was visible to the Harmony and ST apps) one of which was integrated into my SmartThings account, but without any devices visible to ST, and another yet undiscovered hub to which the remotes were paired. All attempts to discover devices from my ST account via the Harmony app failed even though SmartThings thought it was connected to a valid hub. I had to remove the existing phantom instance of the hub from ST, get it to ‘re-discover’ a new hub (strangely, still using the same Harmony account and credentials as the phantom one). I was then able to use the Harmony app and re-authorize my ST devices. In a way it was a good exercise as it forced me to go through all those configuraton steps that I had done a long time ago and forgotten.

Yw love my harmony setup! It’s the show piece to the smart home!

Harmony, Alexa and FireTV! These three are definitely show pieces. Cool thing is this would work without ST but when you add ST into the mix, Man do things get super cool!

Take it even further: Add a Pi3 and install KuKuHarmony and then you are on a whole nother level! Oh but then you have to install Kodi and one of the Kodi DTHs!!!

Alexa, Turn On Movie Time…All kinds of cools stuff happens and visitors are literally floored! Love It!

1 Like

Thank You sir. I had this problem and your answer fixed it.

2 Likes

I know this is an older forum but I am now having issues getting the Harmony Hub to see any of my SmartThings Devices. This was not the case when I previously set this up. Unfortunately, I had to remove the ST integration from the Harmony hub because it wasn’t allowing me to add new ST devices. Now I can’t add any.

This is the response I get from Harmony app. Anyone else seeing this?

1 Like

I have seen that screen before, ahile back. I think I had to press “remove” and then readded ST devices. For my setup it’s important that ST sees my Harmony devices and routines and not as important that Harmony finds my smart devices.

Thanks. Tried that. No luck. Logitech is blaming ST. ST is blaming Logitech. Fun!

Hi Mike. Here are notes I have used to add newly-added SmartThings devices to Harmony Hub. See if this works for you. It references that login screen you mentioned.

• Open Harmony App
  • Choose Harmony Setup from the menu
  • Add/Edit Devices & Activities> Devices
  • Find SmartThings at the top of that list of devices.
  • Select SmartThings.
  • Choose Option Re-Login (this is probably the point where you see that login screen.)
  • Enter SmartThings login credentials.
  • Choose one of your Harmony Hubs (assuming you have multiple Harmony Hubs) from the drop-down menu.
  • Choose my new device.
  • Click Authorize.
  • Respond to any additional prompts.

Once this is done, you’ll see that SmartThings will now have a SmartApp associated with Logitech Harmony under the device definition.

(This next part here might not be needed): Now, you must go into Harmony Hub app and add/re-add that device for all activities that will use it or used to use it. You’ll need to choose their on and off state for each activity.

IMPORTANT: If you had removed a harmony activity and replaced it with the same name, and in SmartThings you still have the activity listed (with the harmony activity name), then, SmartThings will now display the new harmony activity name as ActivityName [Harmony Activity]. Therefore, In the above Authorization process, make sure you choose the activity that looks like 'ActivityName [Harmony Activity] for those cases. Then, in SmartThings, remove the old harmony activity and rename ActivityName [Harmony Activity] to ActivityName.

Back on the Alexa App, you’ll see the harmony activity as a group (it used to be called a scene.)

• Go into the group to change.
  • Choose (check-off) your new device.
  • Un-check any device in your group that is no longer being used.
  • Run Discover on Alexa.

Thanks Kalel,

The issue I’m having is that Harmony isn’t adding any devices even after I choose them in the drop down list from the ST API page. Therefore they never show up in the Harmony app even though the ST hub itself gets paired.

any luck using the Harmony Desktop app instead?

Nope. Get the same result. Working with 2nd level support from Harmony but they don’t seem to have a clue.

Weird thing is I have another ST hub and can import devices from that one with no issues.

I think somehow the Harmony Hub has some weird memory issue where it’s not letting me add any ST devices it thinks I already have integrated. Even though they don’t show in the Harmony App

** UPDATE **. So Logitech support told me that having multiple ST hubs on the same account is not supported in Harmony. Has anyone experienced this to be true?

UPDATE 2 Now I had a Logitech support representative tell me the Smartthings integrations through Harmony is no longer supported. It really seems like they have no idea what they’re talking about at that company.

3 Likes

It’s actually quite a sad state of affairs. I’ve had Harmony remotes for many years and they would always work with you as well as be on top of their game. However in The past several years I’ve seen their customer service and level of expertise drop to third world country status. This new crop of support experts are literally clueless and haven’t The foggiest notion how their product works. Invariably whenever I seek advice I wind up elucidating THEM on The ins and outs of their hub based systems. Don’t think I’ll be purchasing from them again as I doubt they’ll remain a viable business any longer with their foundation veritably crumbling around them. Don’t look to them for any credible solutions. Clueless. Shame, could be a great product again.

Same here man. And I have multiple ST hubs in different locations. I think that must be it.