Nanoleaf's new light panels

Hey !

I just bought this today and started to setup a device handler.

I requested access to the beta flrmware to be able to use the api, until then I’m using IFTTT with Maker applets.

It works pretty well, I configured the on and off commands, a brightness slider and buttons for each out of the box scenes. Of course it’s unidirectional for now until I have acces to the API.

I’ll continue to play with it, but if anyone wants the code and a sceeenshot of my IFTTT config let me know!

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve. I’d love to give it a try and happy to do any testing that would be helpful. Thank you

Nice, I’ll share the code and explain the IFTTT setup tonight. Sadly though, the IFTTT service for Nanoleaf has been spotty at best, it reports 500s and 502s a lot since I started using.

Good news is that I got access to the firmware with the API today ! So I’m ready to start code the actual device handler, I will start that over the weekend, hopefully I can quickly have something that work, it should be complicated for basic features like on/off, setting a scene, a color or brightness !

You did?!? Lucky. I signed up a while ago but haven’t received access yet.

Well it’s that or the firmware was officially released because i’m now on the right version to have the API accessible ! I did a quick test and was able to send off / on requests from my Mac this morning :slight_smile:

Awesome! Are you able to tell me WHAT other capabilities the API provides?

Of course, look higher in this thread, someone else posted the PDF ! :slight_smile: It’s really complete.

Hi Kevin !

Here’s the device handler code (not this is extremely beta) - based on IFTTT :

You have to setup Maker as a channel in IFTTT and of course also setup Nanoleaf as a channel in IFTTT.

You have to input your Maker id (or key) in the settings of the device.

Then, you have to create an IFTTT Applet for each event. The IF is Maker with the keys listed below and the THAT is the corresponding action on the Aurora. For the rgb/brightness appels, tou have to map also the value1 parameter in the recipe to the aurora rgb value or brightness value.

Basic Maker Event:
aurora_on
aurora_off

Brightness and RGB (need the value mapped):

aurora_brightness
aurora_rgb

Scene events (one applet per scene, I know it sucks, but it’s the only way right now with the ifttt channel they created) - please remove the recipes you don’t have and remove them from the device handler. You can also add custom ones.

Examples : aurora_scene_forest , aurora_scene_nemo, etc. The keys are in the code in the variable sceneList : def sceneList = [“antiValentine”, “candyGrams”, “colorBurst”, “fireplace”, “forest”, “hotRomance”, “innerPeace”, “mellowSunrise”, “nemo”, “northernLights”, “romantic”, “rosesAreRed”, “snowfall”, “sunset”, “vibrantSunrise”, “violetsAreBlue”]

Let me know if you need help ! Meanwhile I’m starting the proof of concept tonight on the API based version.

2 Likes

After a fun night of playing with the API please find below a first version of it (again really beta).

It now supports polling so if the Aurora is shut down/switched on or scene is changed from the Aurora app or from the physical buttons, the device will update in smartthings. Polling did not seem to work automatically so I installed Pollster, I though this was fixed ?

When you create the device, remember to put the network ID to an converted to hex value of IP:PORT. You also need to do the authentication method from the API documentation and input the key returned by the authentication API in the device preferences.

Let me know if anybody tries it, it’s been working pretty well tonight in my quick tests.

1 Like

Cool - thanks Steve. I will give it a try :smile:

If you can be approved for the beta and update with the API handler, it is so much simpler and reliable. It works very quickly and efficiently.

The only thing is I haven’t tested last night is re-installing my handler from fresh to make sure everything works from the start. I’ll try to test this as soon as I can but if anybody run into issues let me know.

Once I have a little bit more time to play with it, I will create an official thread for the handler!

smartthings cloud to cloud is on the roadmap for fall/winter 2017 on the Nanoleaf website!

4 Likes

@SteveTheGeek

hi, i tried your Code and followed your instruction regarding hex ip and port, also authentication Code (api key).

but i am getting bellow error message

‎20‎:‎04‎:‎38: error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “0x” @ line 244
‎20‎:‎04‎:‎38: debug polled
20‎:‎02‎:‎28: error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “0x” @ line 244
‎20‎:‎02‎:‎28: debug polled
‎19‎:‎58‎:‎35: error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “0x” @ line 244
‎19‎:‎58‎:‎35: debug body : {“on” : false}

double checked the line 244 which convert Hex to Decimal.

any idea why i am getting this?!

Can you tell me what is the hex IP/Port you entered as your device network ID ? Something seems to be off.

sure, i used a converter Tools to convert ip to hex, 0xC0A8B296:3E95

i figured it out, deleted the 0x at the beginning… works fine now… :wink:

Yep I was going to type that :wink: No 0x there.

Hi Steve: How are you performing the discovery? Are you using something like: [“urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:nanoleaf_aurora:light”]

Hi !

Sadly I haven’t done any discovery part yet, I just ask for the IP to be in the device configuration (see above) and you need to find the API key through Bonjour on a computer.

Steve

Does anyone know if it would be possible to hang these in a a doorway arch (sort of as an upper-1/4 room divider)? Or is the “back” the absolute back? Thanks.