N00bs guide to ST & GD00Z (Garage Door Controller)

Trying to use the code listed in this post. I keep getting this error? any help?

No signature of method: script1452656449864508563336.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1452656449864508563336$_run_closure1) values: [script1452656449864508563336$_run_closure1@4bf37dd3] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

@WP1101 Which code are you using, several were mentioned.

Are you installing as a device ?

1 Like

@Ron I am setting it up as a smart app. Should it be a device?

That depends, you still failed to mention what code you are trying to install. There is both device code and smart app code in this thread. If you are installing the device code then Taco’s post (starting this thread) is pretty detailed so if you follow it you should get it installed correctly. If you are trying to install the smart app then I don’t know what your issue is. If you point us to the code you are trying to install it would make solving your issue much easier.

Here is an other good thread that will help you install.

Thanks for this. I have one of these and I want to buy another one for the second door in my garage. Does anyone know if you can have two of these in one garage? The tilt sensor that you attach to the door does not have any channel setting or such, and nothing in the documentation says that the tilt sensor and controller are matched pairs. I’m worried that with two of these in one garage the controllers won’t be able to tell the tilt sensors apart. Anyone know for sure?

After a few weeks I switched over to a Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor (amazon 30$). This is a more “active” switch over the standard passive tilt switch. You can place one on each door and then just name them “My Door Sensor” and “Her Door Sensor” then just name your openers My Opener and Her Opener. When it comes to the Door App you can know which opener / sensor combo to use.

In this very thread @JonDeutsch mentions having two openers. I am pretty sure others have mentioned that it works fine.

I’m not having any luck opening or closing the door from the app. It works manually, as in pushing the wall button, but not from smartthings. I followed line by line through this excellent guide, the Linear beeps several times whle flashing and the app tells me its opening, then nothing happens. I have a Liftmaster MyQ 8355 garage door opener, if that helps. Thank you for your help!

When you connect the two wires from the GD00Z unit into the Liftmaster there are already two wires there correct?

I know when I installed mine onto my Genie controller that the holes were very small and it was not making a good connection.

Double check your connections and let me know if that helps.

Edit:
According to the install paperwork it says that the problem you are having is:

“Obstruction blocking the door or incorrect wiring”

Since you said the door is working manually, you must have bad wiring.

so, again make sure the wires from the gd00z are going into the two holes that also have the wires for the pushbutton on the wall.

If you have trouble getting the wires all in that small hole, just cut the wires and splice the new ones in.

There’s 4 terminals on mine, the 2 to the right are for the sensors (2 18/2)and the 2 (1 18/2) to the left are for the opener, as per the liftmaster manual. I took the wires out of the opener side and twisted them together with the linear and reinserted them, making sure they were in well. I don’t think there’s any issue with the wiring, since the manual button works well. Could the linear be defective? Maybe I’ll try a power cycle and a couple more manual open/closes

@Dysfunkshun What status do you see for the door? If it’s “unknown” then you need to re-pair the device with your hub. I had to do device exclusions a few times it synced up correctly even though some information (specifically, sensor battery life) were getting reported to my hub.

It shows the correct state of either open or closed, and it is correct in the app. Just attempting to open or close does nothing

Can you open/close the door with a basic momentary switch (like a doorbell switch) ? You can test by just shorting with a wire very quickly, just touch a wire to both terminals. If so then the GD00Z should work. If not then you may not be able to use the device so easily. Linear has a list of openers that are not compatible but this simple test should tell you.

It works by shorting, it only has a basic opener. It’s also listed as compatible on Linear, so I’m not sure why mine is throwing a fit

Where you able to get it to work. Mine beeps and then you see the lights on the liftmaster flash and the door does nothing. I am guessing that the door does not work with the controller

I believe if you have a Liftmaster/Chamberlain opener with a “smart control panel” (motion sensor and/or temp display), then you need to switch it out for a basic momentary switch in order to use the GD00Z. The reason is that when you have a smart control panel, it is using some encoded transmission on the 2-wire connection to the door opener (since it can tell the opener to turn on the lights, or open the door, or both).

Yea I got a dumb transmitter already. Just a push button. I also tried to totally disconnect the wires that go into the door opener and just put the ST unit and it does the same thing. I mean this whole connection process is pretty straight forward and everything is operating properly except for the door opener. Like I said when the door opener is engaged I see the up arrow then the down arrow flash and…bubcas .

By the way who could I call to get more information. Really did not see a technical support number in the manual.

Great thread! I just got mine over the weekend, but with all the trouble SHM and other things going on, I’m kind of afraid to install it until it quiets down. I’ll probably try this weekend if everything else has gotten better.

I have two of them and not sure I will be able to use them since I have two Liftmaster openers