Multiple SmartThings hubs in the same area?

Thanks for that @JDRoberts! I have started looking at actiontiles. It looks like its fiddly to set up but will do exactly what I need.

1 Like

If you find an example, I’d be curious to see it.

Two hubs on one location can be done, it is just a bit of a YMMV situation right now.

At least historically the lack of consistency has been problematic. It is fixed now, as you can select which hub to add a device to, but previously if you had two hubs on a single location you weren’t able to specify which hub you wanted to add a device to.

The other issue that has been highlighted is access control. In the current permissions scheme, access is granted at the location level.

2 Likes

Everything works fine for me now. What would be the benefit of adding a second hub now that you can?

There quite probably isn’t one. I do have two hubs. My reasons:

• I have quite a few Aqara sensors which I currently can’t replace, but I also need routers on my mesh (lots of brick walls in typical UK homes) which effectively means Tradfri or nowt. So if I want anything else I need a second Zigbee mesh.
  • While some kit needs to be on 24/7, there is some that doesn’t. I find it convenient to put the latter on a separate Zigbee mesh so if I do power it off I don’t have to fart around making sure I still have a working mesh.
  • It provides a very limited form of redundancy for me. Have I ever needed this? No.
  • It was an itch I needed to scratch.

Why having two hubs on the same Location sucks:

• I now have two Zigbee meshes that are weaker than I’d like instead of one somewhat better one.
  • When local execution comes along there has to be a strong likelihood that everything will need to be on the same hub and I’ll gain nothing from it.

My recommendations:

• Don’t tolerate devices that are in any way out of spec. Junk the stuff if you can.
  • Rehearse fixing your Zigbee mesh so you know exactly what you need to do.
  • Unless you need to have Zigbee and Z-Wave in a logically distinct part of your property, and you can’t implement it just as well on a separate ST location, don’t do it.
1 Like

Thank you. I have over 50 zwave devices but only 3 zigbee devices so I don’t have much concern about zigbee.

Hi my friend, Im close to replace my current ADT/ST hub by a new Aeotec one, in order to keep location and smartapps I will add Aeotec hub to my current location, migrate some of devices from ADT to Aeotec, add it new devices and then shutdown the ADT one, my question is when you are going to pair the device how do you choose which hub is going to control it ? In order to pick up the new Aeotec one …Thanks brother

The app asks you which one you want. If you are installing by brand, for example, you will be offered the hub at the same time you choose the room …

If you use Scan Nearby you get asked which hub to use …

1 Like

So… I’ve been having problems with my V2 hub for over a month now. I tried to factory reset it and it’s brought me nothing but problems and really hasn’t been worth the hassle. It won’t connect to any of the zigbee devices that I’ve previously had connected to it (Ikea motion sensor, Ikea 5 button, Osram bulbs, Smartthings outlet, motion and contact sensor…
Where I can, I’ve just added any other zigbee devices to my Phillips Hue hub. I’ve contacted support a number of times but they haven’t been any help at all and it is a different person every time.

I seen some cheap v3 hubs on ebay so thought I’d give that a go… only to find out that you need to subscribe to Vodafone for 24 months and pay £8.99 a month subscription :frowning:

I anticipate that my v2 hub will connect to zigbee devices if they were bought new and it’s a problem with reconnecting the same hub. I’ve tried every suggestion that I’ve seen online so far, but still hope that Support or someone can sort it…

That is the only true if you buy the model that was specifically created to be sold by Vodafone. That’s one reason that you are probably seeing those so cheap.

The current V3 model which does not require a subscription is now sold by Aeotec. So if you do want to upgrade, that is the current model.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aeotec-Smart-Home-Hub-version/dp/B08MXG6WTB

There have been some reports from people who said they were able to get the Vodafone version to work without a subscription, but other people said they could not, so I don’t really know on that one. You can try searching the forum for Vodafone and see what you find.