JD (and others) I can’t thank you enough, I’ve read the link posts on this forum that have brought a better understanding versus the general product reviews I’ve been reading. I still have a long way to go but I think i’m getting it . Any links or advice is greatly appreciated. I’m willing to put in some passion time in learning but I’d rather ramp up sooner than later and reduce the learning curb with experienced people such as yourself if you can spare the time to help. Besides my wife want me to go back to office and work. Lol
Bridges versus hubs is now understood, although I’m not sure if i should be linking non native devices to each bridge if ST handles it natively (ie: caseta has my ecobee4 set up in the smartbridge pro, and I set it up in ST as well. I have no idea which one alexa is using or this is a bad thing.
The pico advice is a huge save for me. Sounds like I’ll be getting other devices (I saw your bento box post)
I don’t want to get deep into code or anything complex . I’d rather buy something that makes it easy to get bring things together.
I think Zwave plus is now a likely candidate. is it true that I’ll need to have a few of them scattered around the house to get good performance. Would 6 or so do it? Do all devices act as a repeater? FYI 2600ft up and 2600ft down about 90ft wide about 30 deep.
Here are a few things that may give you context that may sway your thoughts.
- Light almond is the colour of the day to match the house current electrical, Lutorn Claro are the wall plates (going o upgrade to that) . I know plug dimers/on-off and other similar devices may be white…thats ok.
- There will be combo of caseta on/off/ dimmers/ pico for 3 way (no pico themes now that i know they don’t work with st) and regular (not smart) rocker switches. i don’t want mix too many styles but i hope use lutron consistently in much of the main level , and look at alternatives (to get well past 50 devices) in the walk out basement and or rooms like a walk in closet, that is more forgiving with design differences and don’t matter much and or won’t be used by guests.
- not to brag, but it is a high end house so look matters, i just didn’t want to spend $130-$150 a switch for ra2 select and wanted to do more things with the budget. (everything in, outdoor security cameras, lighting, thermostats (2) , doors locks (2-4), garage openers (2) entry gate opener (1) some wall plugs, theme keys, motion sensors, etc I’m guessing about 10-11k Canadian (8-8.5k USA) I’m not looking for cheap so much as good value, reliable function and a design fit. No labour costs are in the budget as this will be a passion DYI and i have a son-inlaw who can score some big points. Looking to do it in 2-3 stages in the coming 2-3 months mostly to test things along the way or wait out a few items for compatibly .
list of priority on why i want this.
- This is too cool and I’m glad lived long enough to feel a little like George Jetson. I only started on this 2 weeks ago and my first axela did me in, (they just came out in Canada a few weeks ago) This is far too amazing to not do it! lol
2 Sonos is big for us mostly for Alexa operation. I have 12 zones. Scenes with Sonos work on the lutron bridge ie: …play this music in this room with this scene) but i can live without that using ST. Hopefully Sonos will be fully supported by st down the line.
- two Garage openers, 1 gate opener (both liftmaster) (gate is complete and myq has add ons for garage openers or i’ll buy 2 new chamberlains. I read neither work with ST.
Away stuff like ecobee4 , away and schedule lighting, 4-6 outdoor cameras, all remote access, couple of flood sensors, couple of door locks ETC.
4 Lighting: Some groups/scenes/automation and remote access) motion triggers, Eco is also a consideration as i always for get to turn off lights. Much of the rest of lighting is the cool factor, mood setting.
- Probably more as it comes… see #1.
Where I’m at.
Love the look and operation of caseta so i’d like to commit to that (plus I can get it wholesale) i’ll limit to to areas that need that consistent look or operation. I’ll i’m guessing I’ll want about 20-30 more lighting controls down the road …which ones? Zwave plus? I’m open. I hope to order about lutron 40 devices tomorrow including , unless you put me in a holding pattern.
I have the lutron pro bridge, lutron repeater and wall plug, couple of lutron dimmers and a pico as test stuff. Also bought ecobee4, wemo wall plug, and gate opener myq.
Other than that I’m open to any suggestions or links for reading.
Sorry for the super long post…but i thought more context/info would help
Have a great day and thanks in advance if you have time to provide more feedback