Motion detected light on issue

Hello -

I have a motion sensor and a few hue light bulbs for this scenario.

Using the “Smart Lighting” smart app I have created a rule that when motion is detected, turn the lights on with “white color and 80%”. This is all good but the issue is that if the light is at 20% brightness, if someone passes by the motion detector, it goes to 80%. I only want this to run if the light is not already on. Any ideas how I can accomplish this?

Regards,

At this time, the official features don’t support conditionals beyond one level.

However, you can probably do this with core. Setup is pretty complicated, but there are many community members who will be glad to help you, and then you will have a lot more control options.

Thanks for the quick response. I will take a look at this.

Seems like all that was needed “Only when this is true” with the list of things and their states :disappointed:

If you happen to have an iPhone, you can use a third-party app, SmartRules, which costs about $10 and is quite popular. It works very well, it’s easy to use, and has a “only when this is true” condition. But it only works for iPhones, And it does much less than core.

http://smartrulesapp.com

Core, in contrast, is free and works with anything that runs the official Smart rules app, and is very powerful . But the set up is pretty complicated.

@JDRoberts thanks for introducing me to CoRE. It is awesome! I was able to do what I wanted in about an hour. It is somewhat complicated but not overly complicated. I have some IT background so that helped with understanding the IF THEN ELSE concept. This should come stock with smartthings hub!! Sending a donation as I am willing to pay for such awesome functionally.

1 Like