Missing Posts?

I am trying to read this post: Fibaro Dimmer 2 but it feels like there are missing posts in between.
If you go to Fibaro Dimmer 2 - #5 by tombullock92 and then move to the next post, it comes as Fibaro Dimmer 2 - #8 by tombullock92 which indicates there are two posts in between.

I really want to read this post but its not making any sense - it is just teasing me with what info might be there :smile:

Fibaro products belong to the trash. @FIBARO_official please explain in your own words why

That is quite possible. People do delete posts for various reasons, though generally quite quickly and without affecting the continuity. We also had one of the more active users, who had made a lot of valuable posts, exercise his right to have all his past posts deleted and that did leave holes.

2 Likes

That would make sense. Real shame though!!

Are you saying to avoid Fibaro products?

Sure do! They don’t work well with ST and despite being ST official partners they refuse to fix the integrations for their OWN devices.

1 Like

WARNING
DO NOT USE FIBARO PRODUCTS

You will spend your hard earned money on a product that does not work well, if at all with Smartthings

They have been on the forum and refuse to create official working integrations, if you are unlucky enough to own a Fibaro RGBW driver v1 or v2 these are not supported at all

You have been warned

1 Like

At the present time there are some Fibaro products that work well with SmartThings and some don’t, in spite of all being Zwave certified to the independent third party standard.

While many smartthings customers are angry about this and blame Fibaro, it’s honestly not their fault.

In spite of being a certified Z wave hub, smartthings has added its own abstraction layer to its platform so in order to get many devices (not just Fibaro) to work with a smartthings hub you have to use “custom code“ written specifically for the smartthings system.

Smartthings now expects the device manufacturers to provide this code, or customers to write it for themselves. Samsung does not provide it anymore.

All of which means a device manufacturer might, as Fibaro does, get their devices certified to the independent third-party standard but then find out from customers that there is additional special code needed to make the device work with smartthings.

Even worse, smartthings can and does change the custom code requirements from time to time, which causes devices that have been working just fine to stop working.

So the device manufacturer has three choices.

1. Like Zooz and Inovelli, they might create special smartthings code and make it available for their customers so that their devices will work with a smartthings account.

2. like Fibaro and Fortrezz , they might say “our devices are certified to the independent third-party standard. If special code is required by a particular hub, you will have to talk to that hub manufacturer about it, we do not provide it.“

3. or they might just say they don’t know anything about any special requirements, it’s a Z wave device which should work with a Z wave hub. Which honestly should be true, but it is smartthings which has made it not true for their own particular platform.

Of course all of this can get very frustrating for the individual customer. You can see how weird the fact that smartthings has this additional abstraction layer is because Aeotec is now their partner for selling hubs. But some individual Aeotec device models like the Walmote quad work better with hubs from other brands. Wallmote has 16 functions with a hub from vera or Hubitat or Homeseer even Fibaro— there’s only eight functions with a smartthings hub. Because of the smartthings-specific abstraction layer.

So…

Fibaro Devices work just fine with other Z wave hubs. Some of them work OK with a smartthings hub but may require custom code and some of them don’t work at all with the smartthings hub. But Fibaro has made the decision that they themselves are not going to provide any special code required for a hub-specific abstraction layer.

So at the present time it’s easier to recommend one of the other manufacturers that is providing the special code needed. :thinking:

p.s. The posts that are missing, as @orangebucket noted, are probably mostly from one very active user Who had done two entire houses with Fibaro kit and smartthings but then chose to move onto a different brand of hub (which didn’t have the special code requirements). All of those posts are out of date now, anyway, because changes that smartthings has made to its platform in 2019 and 2020 meant the Fibaro devices Which had been working stopped working with SmartThings. They still work fine with other Z wave certified hubs, though.

3 Likes

While i do agree with you, the part that gets me is that Fibaro and Smartthings are OFFICIAL partners. They should make their products work with platform despite being or not being their fault.

As long as there are some models that work, it seems OK to me.

Aeotec is taking a new approach now that they have taken over sales and service of the hub.

They have a page on their site which lists the specific models which are “certified to work with smartthings.”

There are quite a few Fibaro Devices listed there, but not all. For example, the motion sensor is listed, but the smart implant is not. Model numbers are given.

That seems sufficient to me, although I know other people may feel differently.

2 Likes

Smartthings , Samsung smartthings and Fibaro have never provided official support for there RGBW controlers

Smartthings and Samsung smartthings classic had a 3rd party stable, full featured integration, alot of people built expensive lighting systems around this pairing, no one knew Samsung Smartthings new versions and back end would destroy the pairing without recourse

Let’s not forget the Smartthings promise of app feature parity when we were forced to upgrade

The original developer of the 3rd party integration was no longer available and Samsung themselves removed the ability to create a like for like upgrade of the 3rd party integration by anyone

Samsung and Fibaro have shown scant regard for customers in multiple ways, my comments stand, Fibaro should be avoided at all costs for there lack of integration with Smartthings, Samsung Smartthings has never provided app feature parity despite promises and has never offered to fix broken integrations which trusting users have used

2 Likes

I am with you Mike!

1 Like

Who shall not be named with the Hub which shall not be named.

Some posts and topics start to be like a classified CIA report here. Just blanked out text… :laughing:

UK privacy laws. “ The right to be forgotten.“

72782ebfad13dc62b5d980846c3f05c2d25642b1

1 Like

I know, I know. I guess that’s going to be happen when they reach retirement as well. It will be forgotten what have they worked during the past 40 years and how much pension contributions have made. :wink:

Actually GDPR does not apply to the UK anymore. It is their own rule now as they are not part of the EU.

@fido, that is the Lounge area on this forum.

1 Like

I know, but my understanding was that they had passed a similar law after Brexit.

I’m in the UK and trust me, no one knows or really cares

1 Like

I believe so. But at that time, when Who shall not be named asked for the removal of the posts, it was still GDPR the applicable law. And as @fido said. Nobody knows. I am working now with people from the UK and they have no clue about a lot of things how do they work or will work. The chaos is extreme, and nobody has any doubts about that.

Effectively, yes. I believe it is all dealt with using Statutory Instruments. If you really want to you can see how similar the UK and EU GDPR are (PDF).

1 Like