Missed Delete/Exclude from ST 1.0 hub

Hi there

After being (almost 100%) satisfied with my ST 1.0 hub, I decided to get a ST 2.0 hub
It was the offline capabilities that weighed in
I did deleted the devices in ST 1.0, however I did not run any specific exclude process in ST 1.0 hub
The problem now is that I can’t seem to add any of the devices I had previously working on my new ST 2.0.

ST 2.0 is not recognizing (while adding new device) the old nor the my newly purchased PIR sensors. I tried adding via the big + button and adding specific hardware.

All in all the new ST 2.0 seems spotty or maybe I have not spend enough time with it?

Any help would be highly appreciated

I apologize, I am not feeling very well, and I can’t give you a fully detailed answer. Hopefully other people will be able to help, or you can just contact support.

But the short answer is that this exact situation was anticipated by the zwave designers, and you can clear the old controller information from any zwave device even if you no longer have that old controller. :sunglasses:

You just have the new controller issue what is called a “general exclusion” and then put the device that you want to clear into exclusion mode (usually by pushing a button on that physical device in some particular pattern). Then once the old controller information is cleared, you will be able to add a device to the new network. (Note that the device must be on power in order to hear the general exclusion, so if it’s a plug-in device it needs to be plugged in during this whole process. For a battery powered device, the instructions will tell you what to do with the battery.)

Here’s the support article on issuing a general exclusion from a SmartThings account:

You’ll still need to look up the procedure for each individual device to see how to get it to accept the exclude.

Here’s the one for the ecolink sensor to get you started. Look for the section on “how to reset”:

Not enough info really to give you much help.

Do you have a minimote? if so the zwave excludes can go much quicker. Also it’s not uncommon to have to run a zwave exclude on a NIB item. Sometimes factories test the device and don’t exclude it, so as Common Practice you should just always run a zwave exclude on a device before trying to include it.

If you have any zigbee devices the exclusion process seem to be different for each one.

It would help if:

• You list out the brand/devices, but you could also look up the manual for eac(which is what I would do to tell you how to exclude them)

• How far away from the hub are you when trying to include these new devices, and do you have a good mesh?

• Is the new hub in the same spot as the old one?(hopefully centrally located in the home)

• If you’ve already deleted the devices from your V1 unplug it so that rules out interference from it.

• Is the new hub at least a few feet away from Wifi, and any other HA hub I.E. Hue, Wink, Vera, Etc.

1 Like

I have had better luck with just running a general include in the app, On the market place click the connect new device button at the top. YMMV

Have you checked your hub status in the IDE @ https://graph.api.smartthings.com make sure all of your radios say they are active.

It could be a Bad hub as well, so if the devices you are trying to connect are on the officially supported list I would open a ticket/ email support@smartthings.com

Thanks for your replies! They surely have put me on the right track
I had to read the instructions of each device (e.g. GE led maps, siren, aeon zwave repeater) on how to exclude/reset from previous zwave network and make them available to pair again with the new hub.
Another thing I noticed is that the exclusion mode on the mobile app works much better than the web version (hub utilities>Exclusion mode). The mobile app provides you immediate feedback on the devices that were successfully excluded.

Cheers!

1 Like