Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices

Answers from what I know:

1. Doesn’t exist, maybe a custom device type? What sensors/door setup do you use now?
  2. Exists in the Smart Lights app for motion at least, I use it.
  3. Use Rooms is the current answer. I like Rooms just as much as Dashboard, but still want the dashboard back too. I want both.
  4. I checked the app and Smart Lights does this, and possibly would run local on your hub too.
  5. I wish for this too after I accidentally pressed one of them last night. Too easy to do that.
  6. I am having the opposite experience, switches that were slow before are faster, and more switches are connecting. I suggest doing a repair after setting up all switches.

Hope that helps.

I was getting nowhere standing on my ladder, so I disconnected mine and took it to my office. I managed to exclude it in the same manner as you describe, but cannot get it to include again. I have it plugged in and 1 foot away from my hub. Had to dig out the actual garage door opener this morning. :frowning:

6 . there have been slower moments, like last night for example, but the overall experience is that v2 is snappier…

Look over here:

I need some help.

I have basic contact sensors tied to the new security app. I cannot uninstall that app, and even though I unselect my contact sensors under security, they are still connected. How can I get these sensors removed from the new security app so I can upgrade to V2 hub?

You can’t. I had the same problem. You will need to contact support. They can do it for you.

wow so this is really stupid. luckily i have an android and iphone. i was able to remove them via the iphone app. bago, try to borrow an iphone and see if it works for you also.

Keep it on topic folks. Cleaned up thread of irrelevant posts.

2 Likes

is it possible to track more than one phone for presence sensors in this version? how could they forget this??? do they think we are all single???

In theory, yes, it’s possible. I had a sub-account set up for my husband from our v1 hub and it persisted so that he was able to add his phone as a presence sensor in the v2 hub. The problem is that there is some bug with adding accounts to your main account, so if that sub-account isn’t already there, I guess it can’t be added at the moment.

Somebody said that they were able to log in on their spouse’s phone with the main account and add another phone that way. Also, Life360 could be a temporary workaround until ST gets the bugs out. You can set up Life360 accounts on different phones, then use the Life360 smart app to integrate with ST.

1 Like

I’d even suggest that Life360 works better. It’s more reliable for me and has added benefits.

1 Like

@antolope…Finally! Sort of. I got it connected and working again, but when I try to add it as a garage door to Routines it doesn’t show up. It is listed as a thing and it works from Things view. Am I missing something?

The only thing you’re missing is this thread:

Garage door functionality has been scaled down for now…

1 Like

Damn. The garage door opening with a routine was the most useful thing SmartThings did in my house. Seems like too many things have been “scaled down” on this new hub.

3 Likes

I share your pain buddy, hope they’ll do something soon…

Trip, have you connected the garage door with the device type from @garyd9 or @Ron? @RBoy has a paid one floating around but not sure who well it works.

Try the one @garyd9 has here:

or try the one @Ron has here:

You can follow the thread here:

Shout out and props to both of them for their great work!!!

If you have used one of these device types, the next step is to ensure you’re using the correct SmartApp. try this one:

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I don’t need a smart app. I just need the Routines to allow garage doors. It already functions correctly by allowing me to open/close and showing open/closed state based on the tilt sensor. The limitation at this point is with the Routines. Thanks again for the help with getting it paired to the new hub. I had no idea about pressing the button 5 times to exclude. Later.

I think I’m missing something even after reading the thread. In my V1 setup, my tilt sensor and garage door opener were always separate. I used one to confirm the other. Was there something better I missed? Or am I not understanding completely.

Right now I can still control my door and see it’s status. I use the MyQ @copyninja made and an Ecolink tilt.

Yes, a shortcut button that reported status and when touched would open or close the door.

1 Like

Aha, I didn’t know that existed. Darn. And I see that routines doesn’t do this either. Ok now I understand.