Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices

I tried that new hard root beer stuff a few weeks ago. Not a big fan, but not bad. Great concept though.

Just make sure to not drink too much beer or your troubleshooting skills will suffer. :smiley: Good luck to everyone.

I have two of these I migrated last night… here’s what I did. On the app with v2 hub, went to exclusion mode. Slide battery tray out on the First Alert, then hold the “Test” button down and slide battery tray back in, when FA beeps, release test button. FA will beep again in a few seconds - it should be removed now. Then “Add Device” and repeat the slide battery tray out then back in while holding the test button until the unit beeps. It should beep again a few seconds after you release the test button - and at the that point you should see it get recognized in the app.

I migrated about 75% of my stuff yesterday - ran into a couple of issues and worked around most of them with two exceptions (likely related).

I have two devices - one z-wave plugin module and one SmartThings motion sensor (original from 2013) that cannot talk to the hub from their installed locations. They both work if I bring them closer to the hub, but they don’t work where I need them to be even though they worked fine in those same locations with he v1 hub for almost two years. So it might seem the RF might be a little worse on the current hub.

Interestingly, if I plug in the motion sensor to wall power, it works from it’s installed location - just not when it’s on battery power. I can’t seem to get z-wave repair to run… I’m hoping that might solve the plug-in module issue.

Ok guys, I hate to tell you this, but 346 messages is too many to read to figure out how best to migrate from V1 to V2 hub. Is there a TLDR version somewhere that sums up the steps? The Support site is down right now so I can’t look there.

2 Likes

@tripster3 , have you gotten this paired yet? I have the GD00Z-1 (Iris Branding but I think it’s the same.) I had to climb up to it, put the hub in exclude mode and press the side button 5 times. This excludes it from the system. Then I put the hub in Include mode and tapped the side button once and it came up. Hope this helps.

I migrated 3 of the first alert zcombos no problem over the weekend. Just follow this process and you should be good.

Someone more enterprising than myself with actual experience of the migration ought to give it a go and post in one of the FAQ categories of the Forum, please?

But my attempt:

1. Because SmartApps cannot run “across” Locations (and you can have at most one Hub per Location); it may be best to do your entire system at one time (i.e., though you may try out a couple Devices on the the Hub, straddling two hubs for a week or two while trickling over is not a good idea).

2. Somehow save the configuration of all your SmartApps (any any special Device configs if they have parameters). The screens at http://graph.api.smartthings.com help, but there is single “print” function.

3. Uninstall all your SmartApps and Dashboard Shortcuts / Solution SmartApps – A Device cannot be removed if it is associated with any SmartApps.

4. Use the uninstall / remove procedure for each Device. NB: This step can be skipped as you can run a general Z-Wave Exclude on the new hub and force reset each Device at that time. Not sure that is much quicker or slower overall. Z-Wave Exclude is your friend, however – always try it again a couple times if a Z-Wave Add is failing on the new Hub. So some folks say you can delete your entire “Location” in one fell swoop and ignore #3.

5. At the new Devices to the new Hub. Mesh devices (ZigBee and Z-Wave) are most likely to add cleanly if they are close to the Hub and/or added from closest-to-furthest. Z-Wave Locks are difficult as they don’t use the entire Mesh (security mumbo jumbo). Personally, I had to uninstall my Z-Wave Lock (well, it wasn’t fully installed) to get it to join. One workaround is a long ethernet cable and/or ethernet to WiFi adapter for the Hub V2 while you do your adds around the house.

6. Except some Devices to not work. Search the thread for specific examples, but Support@SmartThings.com will always try to help, but expect delays up to 5 days.

7. Don’t confuse changes/problems with the new phone-mobile App V2 with changes/problems with Hub V2. The App works with either Hub and vice versa, currently. The new App is quite changed and missing the Shortcuts and their related Solution SmartApps, and made search for SmartApps a bit harder, etc…

8. If you have custom Device Types or custom developed SmartApps in your IDE Account, they don’t need to be moved. Your Account contains multiple Locations.

The Topic will now expand with lots of comments on what I said, maybe. And if I’m too far off, expect this post to disappear. :speak_no_evil:

I have now successfully moved 1 Schlage lock, 4 Everspring flood detectors, 2 FortreZz sirens to my V2 hub from my V1 hub with lots of the same struggle over the weekend reported by others, so I won’t repeat all that.

However - 1 Schlage door lock will not re-pair (the one farthest away) reliably. It keeps dropping off. It was fine on the V1 hub, so I would add to the chorus that RF seems weaker on V2 or has some other problem.

Performance can be sluggish on other devices, especially the other Schlage lock. So something definately works worse even with the paired devices.

Weirdest thing though, which I have not seen reported anywhere else… If I simply click on “Connect new device” in the Android app, but don’t click on any device button (that is, I do nothing at all), in a minute or two it “Discovers” one of my Everspring flood detectors (which is already on the network and working). I can “add” it and nothing changes (I don’t get two). Or I can cancel and it doesn’t go away (I still have that one). It’s always the same flood detector and it happens every time now. I have ticket into support since yesterday but no response and no chat seems available. So, has anyone else seen this behavior? I haven’t seen any mention of it elsewhere.

Kinda TLDR here, but has anybody found Low Battery Notifications? I can’t seem to find them, as well as the reading on my door lock :stuck_out_tongue: but that seems to be common amongst my fellow Kwikset comrades.

1 Like

I didn’t see them, but I’ve received a push on a presence sensor today

1 Like

Hmm perhaps it’s automatic, I wish it had told me that in the intro screens I didn’t read, because get outta my way I want to do stuff!

I looked and looked after the v2 app and couldn’t find it. I’m pretty sure it’s built in, like the hub offline alert seems to be.

I’ve received a low batt push notification for my 2013-era smartthings multi - is that what you mean?

Yep. They are automatic and not configurable AFAIK

Yea I think they baked it in now. Previously it was configured in the settings of Hello Home (RIP).

Well that’s not optimal. These should be Customer configurable, otherwise the system has, anecdotally, devolved into the equivalent of a “dumb” low-battery smoke detector that wakes folks up in the middle of the night with a periodic, short but very loud, “chirp”.

There’s no reason that battery notifications shouldn’t be fully configurable. Perhaps I’d prefer an email once a week listing my devices that are below a certain battery level, rather than receiving a “push notification” that I have carefully configured for only critical events (i.e., an actual fire).

3 Likes

SmartTiles (www.smarttiles.click) is a nice dashboard that includes tiles for all device battery levels. I also recall seeing that the low battery status is automatically pushed… but can’t confirm.

2 Likes

Yea I have that on another page because battery levels shouldn’t be on a main dashboard and I might forget to look every once and a while.

1 Like

I can’t get my Philips Hue hub to be recognized on the new ST Hub. I did completely remove the smartapp from the iOS app during the migration process prior to removing the V1 hub from the network. But I have not identified any extra exclusion process for the Hue hub. Is there one? If not any ideas how I can get over this hurdle?

Hello All,

I just migrated last night and I have some configuration issues. It appears there are not solutions to my issues, but I emailed support and wanted to ask here in case I missed something. Here are the issues I would like to resolve:

I am looking for solutions for the following issues after migrating to V2:

1. Garage Door Monitor and Operation in One Device for a Relay/Sensor set up. V1 had this but I can’t find it in V2. (Seems like this is not possible in V2, is there a single device I can purchase for this functionality?)

2. Automatically turn lights off after a certain time. I have lights turn on automatically and want them to turn off 90 minutes later, how do I do this?

3. The dashboard. How do I repopulate my dashboard so that I can have a quick view of lights and doors? (Seems like this is gone forever.)

4. Combine multiple lights into one light icon for turning on and off multiple lights with on click like I use to be able to do from the lights section of the old dashboard. (Seems like this is gone like the above dashboard feature.)

5. Can I limit the routines that show up in the Android widget? I like having quick access
    from the widget, but I do not need or want all of them to show up there. I would hate to bump the wrong thing while I am away from my home and unlock all of my doors. (I really want this functionality but as far as I know it has never existed.)

6. Huge Delays. In V1 the press of a button on my Aeon minimote or using one light to activate another was nearly instantaneous. Now there is a 5 to 10 second delay from the button press until the light reacts. Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do to correct this?

1 Like