Meross Energy Monitoring plug

Hello, i am trying to capture, access current power consumption, energy monitoring throug Smartthings and i would like to know if Meross Smart Plug with Energy Monitor or do i need something else like Eve Energy UK - Smart Plug & Power Meter and one last question, do i need a smartthings hub or not to access the energy data?

Many thanks

First rule of Home Automation: “the model number matters.” So the answers will be different depending on the specific device you are looking at and the specific integration method you use for it.

In a smartthings context, “energy monitoring“ is used to describe three different kinds of information. And any one device might have any combination of those three.

1. Energy history in its own app. Many “energy monitoring“ devices don’t share that information with SmartThings. You can only see it as history in its own app. Also, it’s important to note that at the present time matter does not share energy information, so most devices which are connected through matter won’t report energy use to SmartThings. (But again the model number matters: there are a few exceptions to this that are using custom energy integrations, not matter itself.)

I believe at the time of this writing that the meross matter energy reporting, smart plug falls into this group. You can only see the energy use in its own app, it is not shared with SmartThings.

1. Energy history in the SmartThings “energy” dashboard. Also called the “energy service.“ This was originally designed for Samsung smart appliances, but since then they have added a few smart plugs as well, but not many, and not in any very logical way. The smartthings branded smart plugs, for example, don’t show up on this dashboard. But some aqara devices have for about a year. More recently, the Eve smart plug was added to the dashboard, and there was an announcement that at least a couple of Tapo models would be, but I don’t know if that’s actually happened yet.

Also, this feature is only offered in a few regions.

1. Energy that you can use as the “if” in a smartthings routine created in the SmartThings app. This is where it can get really confusing. Some of the devices that show up on the “SmartThings energy“ dashboard do not have actionable energy reporting that you can use in a routine. and many of the devices that show up As options for the “if“ in a smartthings routine, don’t show up on the energy dashboard. So you have to do some research if this is important to you.

We just had a discussion about this in the forum last week, and it looks like the Shelly Wi-Fi smart plug does report actionable energy use that you can use in a smartthings routine, and you won’t need a smartthings/Aeotec hub for that one. But it doesn’t show up on the energy dashboard.

The Eve smart plug should have energy reporting both on the dashboard and that you can use in a routine, but that one will require that you have a SmartThings/Aeotec hub.

You can use the Sonoff energy reporting smart plug with or without a smartthings/aeotec hub, but you can only use its energy reporting in a smartthings routine if you have a hub. And it doesn’t show up on the energy dashboard.

If you use the aqara Zigbee energy reporting smart plug Connected directly to a SmartThings/aeotec hub, it will show up on the dashboard and you can use it in a SmartThings routine. But if you connect it to its own hub and then bring it in via matter, you won’t get the energy reporting at this time of this writing. Those are both official integrations, but they offer different functionality.

———
So, as you can see, there’s just a lot of variation in this area.

2 Likes

@JDRoberts thank you, you answered loads of question, I also asked on Amazon about the Eve Energy UK - Smart Plug & Power Meter with Built-in Schedules, Voice Control, no Bridge Needed, Apple HomeKit, Bluetooth, Thread and was provided this answer. It depends on the Thread border router you’re using. I’ve connected it to a SmartThings hub so yes for me I could access the data via the API in near real-time.

So I guess if I purchase a SmartThings hub and Eve Energy UK - Smart Plug & Power Meter I will be able to accomplish what I am trying to do.

If I am wrong let me know otherwise in the next week or 2 I’ll order the equipment and share how it all went :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would help if we knew more about exactly what you’re hoping to do. :sunglasses:

1 Like

@JDRoberts Hello, In short i need to collect the data and store it on a local postgresql with all the other data i have around the house already :wink:

1 Like