Matter Question (Update)

As this isn’t in the main stream just yet is tough to know. And i think i know the answer already (but kinda hoping I’m wrong).
When Smartthings updates the hub with Matter compatibility will my current devices become matter compatible (as long as they go through the updated hub). Or will I need to start my smart home …all over again.

Neither.

Your hub will be able to consume matter devices but it will not bridge existing zigbee and ZWave devices to matter.

Basically of you want to use matter devices in SmartThings great. If you want to have your existing SmartThings devices show up on someone else’s matter network (Google etc) not so great. Either way you shouldn’t need to start over unless you’re banking on the matter bridge functionality (that won’t be there) in your future plans. That could of course change but right now this is how it shakes out.

1 Like

@nathancu Thanks for clearing that up.
I currently have Smartthings, Arlo, Ring etc and was looking to connect them all too HomeKit (assuming that they all get on board with Matter)
I was hoping that if everyone got onboard that i would be able to control everything from HomeKit but clearly I need to get new matter enabled sensors etc.

As @nathancu noted, SmartThings is going to add one way Matter integration in to its v2 and v3 hubs. But is not planning to add Matter integration out. So you’ll be able to bring quite a few new devices into the SmartThings app. But you won’t be able to add your SmartThings hub or its connected devices to the Apple Home app.

You will still have some options other than buying all new devices, though, but the first rule of home automation still applies: “The model number matters.”

1) Let a hub do the work.

If your sensors are IKEA, aqara, or Tuya, you should eventually, say Autumn 2024, be able to buy a specific hub from that company, move those sensors to that hub, and then bring THAT hub into both SmartThings and Apple Home. That’s because unlike SmartThings, all three of those companies are planning on adding Matter compatibility outwards for at least some hub models. (They will offer at least one hub which is a “matter bridge.”)

We don’t yet known if these hubs will only expose their own brand’s devices or also some from other brands. We just have to wait and see.

But using a sensor’s own Matter bridge hub should give you strong SmartThings integration (reliable, local, and available for firmware updates) combined with simultaneous Apple Home integration, all without needing custom code. :tada:

So maybe instead of buying all new sensors you end up buying an inexpensive Matter bridge. But…the model number matters.

2. Use Homebridge

There is already an option for using SmartThings-connected devices in Apple Home: homebridge.

Homebridge is a software simulation which allows you to present nonhomekit devices to Apple HomeKit by making that look like something attached to a Hue bridge.

It works quite well and people have been using it for years, before Matter was ever announced.

The negatives are that it requires some comfort with technical jargon and scripting to set up and you have to have an always-on “server” device to run it.

There is a prebuilt system called HOOBS which tries to simplify all that, but it costs about $300 and still is a lot more complicated than setting up a SmartThings or IKEA hub.

Anyway, that’s an option that people are already using. If you’d be interested in knowing more about it, talk to the people in the following thread, with the understanding that anything earlier than October 2022 probably relies on the SmartThings groovy cloud and is no longer available. Instead, look for the newer discussions.

The following links directly to the postgroovy discussions.

[RELEASE] Homebridge SmartThings v2.0 - #326 by JDRoberts

1 Like

Also, the following thread is where the detailed SmartThings/Matter discussions have been taking place, if you’re interested. :sunglasses:

Matter - smart home connectivity standard (formerly Project CHIP)

1 Like