Make your existing non z-wave, RF remote controlled Ceilng Fans Smart (Bond)

I use virtual momentary buttons since ST is not capturing the state of the devices.

So one for each the light and the fan. I also found out that my Hampton Bay tempperature control remote wonā€™t work.

Two for each. One fan on, one fan off, etc. Think of it like buttons on a remote.

I hope the SmartThings implementation comes soon. The remote I have has an LCD screen, so they say they are working on it.

Me too. Hopefully it will allow ST to control light dimming and fan speeds. However, I donā€™t expect it to ever capture the state of the device as the Bond is just duplicating remote control signals.

If BOND will be able to capture the signals of the remote, which has manual and automatic modes. It can go on when the temperature at the remote goes past a set point and go off when the desired temp is reached. The manual control for the fan is tap once for high again for med and again for low, opposite of most. The light dimmer manual control is hold for dimming. So if I am lucky BOND will maybe capture the manual settings. How well does Echo work with BOND?

Does anyone have Bond working with a nonIR remote?

Echo control is very responsive. In my experience, the command is executed before Echo responds ā€œok.ā€ Echo can turn on/off fan and fan lights and can set fan speed. It does not currently dim fan lights.

That alone would be great. I have 5 echo devices in the house, my favorite is the Echo Show. When using Ask Alexa the macro shows on the screen, so you can see if it was received as you said. I just wish the show had a browser, or the ability to run one Android app.

1 Like

How did you set up the virtual switches to work with BOND? I can create switches no problem. Not sure how you linked it.

Did you authorize the Ifttt smartapp to use the virtual switches?

Yes, I thought it was a little more elegant. But then I guess I have to wait for The full integration. By the way on the 18th the BOND should be upgraded to handle State Remotes. Those are the ones like Hampton Bays. Screnshot below.

Nice! I donā€™t have that type of a remote for ceiling fans but I do have one for a fireplace. If such a remote for a ceiling fan can work properly it gives me hope that my fireplace remote will also work someday.

The Bond is currently on sale for $79.99 on Amazon. Regular price is $99.99.

I bought it for that at Home Depot online. I wanted to get my Military Discount, but Home Depot doesnā€™t offer it online like Loweā€™s does.

My BOND came today, and I have two fans setup. Tomorrow I have a callback scheduled with BOND support to help setup the State remote. At least until the new software is downloaded to my BOND. I hope Garage Doors are next.

From the BOND Blog.

Until now, if you wanted a smart garage, you had to buy a whole new opener unit, or wire in a supplemental piece of hardware to connect to Wi-FI and use remotely. In the coming months, however, the Bond will possess this capability.

Weā€™ve already ā€œcracked the codeā€ on RF ceiling fans. Garage doors are the next step and weā€™re excited to be rolling this functionality out to you very shortly.

I received my BOND yesterday and am so far pretty happy with it. I added two fans from kidā€™s rooms that didnā€™t have the wiring necessary to do a separate control of the light and fan with Z-wave switches. Pairing to the app was pretty easy. I use Android, and I did notice a few differences from the images on the iOS version they show on their website. Pairing took about a minute, your typical local device Wi-Fi gets connected to and you provide your home Wi-Fi credentials and itā€™s done. Adding each fan was a breeze, too [pun intended?] ā€“ Hit the + icon, then it had me press a button, and it was able to ID the fan controller type and populated a set of matching buttons. You can test out each function and then save if it works.

The one thing I noticed is that dimming didnā€™t have the slider function the way their website shows, this is probably only in iOS so far, but I did find that I could dim the light by just holding down the light button the same way that it works on the physical remote. My app also doesnā€™t have a calendar for scheduling like their website shows. Probably a work in progress for Android, typical second class treatment there. I canā€™t complain, though, I opened up IFTTT and was able to pair my BOND account and setup applets. This gave me some crude SmartThings integration, since I could have it turn off the lights after the kids go to school. They always seemed to leave the light onā€¦

Most importantly, it was able to control the two fans from a separate room. I didnā€™t want to leave the device in their rooms, and definitely didnā€™t want to need more than one. My bedrooms are all upstairs, but Iā€™m hoping the RF reaches downstairs, too. I have a dining room fan that Iā€™ll be installing a controller on soon and it would be great to be able to control that from the upstairs bond, as well. So far, the IFTTT integration responds quickly, and Alexa integration responds quickly too. By that I mean, near instantly.

Iā€™m debating setting up something in WebCoRE to let me use some virtual buttons to control via the app or some Action Tiles, but Iā€™m partially waiting to see if the developers announce ST integration over the next couple of days and save me the hassle. I think it is a worthwhile purchase, though, if youā€™re on the fence about getting it, Iā€™d say go for it. If your need is to just make sure that lights and fans are off/on at certain times or with certain events, this will do the job. I havenā€™t played with it enough to determine if thereā€™s any feedback in the unit, like it detecting a manual control change, but I imagine there isnā€™t. Though, the calendar part, not yet in Android, seems to have a scheduler option and control based on temperature. Not sure how it handles a situation where someone may turn off the fan when the BOND turns it onā€¦ does it just sit there waiting for the temp to drop and assume the fan is still on? Maybe someone using this with iOS can chime in. Feedback would be awesome, because then there is hope that you will eventually see the fan and light state in ST when it gets integrated.

1 Like

I have one on the way, due tomorrow. I have 2 older fans with the Harbor Freight controls. Both remotes are showing their age. Same issue with wiring as well.

I also have a split unit that if BOND will eventually work (and with ST) that will just ā€œmale my dayā€.

I have found that devices set up easy with a few caveats. I did notice on one fan that there were two dimmer buttons and two light buttons. So I used the edit button and removed the duplicates. But the fans work no problem. My home is a one story and is 2300 square foot. I have the BOND in my office which is in the very front of my home, and the fan in my Master Bedroom works fine. I am not sure how far the RF would work.

Got mine today - the only issue is my old Harbor Breeze controls (RF) have a light dimmer - and I can not dim, nor does Alexa allow dimming.

Fan is 3 speed, but Alexa just shows 1 speed - but variable.

Email into support fwiw,