Major Weird Zigbee Issues (July 2016)

You know what really concerned me the other day, relates to this?

I was going to replace a bunch of halogen 50w lamps in kids room (eww, I know, the last lights to go and IMO dangerous how hot they get), and the reviews I read on Amazon about a particular lamp (*Hyperikon" I think) stated that they often interfered with wifi!! Eeek, that means they would interfere with Zigbee. I wonder if some non-responsive zigbee is caused by this, argh.

1 Like

Well. After I replaced my GE bulbs with osram bulbs, I think ST might actually be willing to replace my hub.

It’s annoying.

I have 8 zigbee bulbs, 6 GE Link and 2 Cree. I recently moved from Michigan to California and the bulbs no longer work. At one point they would connect and drop offline, but now they won’t connect. I got a Wink hub and no problems linking, no problems with them working, no problems dropping offline. Work perfectly all the time. I got the Wink hub to update the firmware on the bulbs, which it did, still they won’t work on Smartthings. I contacted support, they went through all the standard things and rebuilt the Zigbee mesh (whatever that is) still no go. They tried to tell me the bulbs were defective, but I pointed they work with Wink. The response was that the other support folk have heard of the same issue, but it won’t be fixed until alot of complaints come in. This is a ST problem, why they worked in MI and not CA is a mystery. I read that there some issues with the Zigbee power meters in CA, the support guy denied it, and again not sure how that doesn’t cause a problem with Wink

Frustrated enough where I moved everything to the Wink hub. It’s not as sophisticated, but it works.

So I have similar issues here I have 46 Smart Home devices (mostly zigbee) with a few zwave. And my I recently replaced almost all of my GE bulbs with zigbee Osram BR30s. And it’s so strange i will have just one bulb go unresponsive once a week - and it’s never the same bulb – or location. I know zigbee is a mesh network but even not moving the bulbs it’s always just 1 bulb out of 8 that won’t respond.

If I go and reset it or even cut the power a few times on the switch and do a rediscovery – everything is fine for a few days and then the same happens on a different bulb. And it’s not like they are far apart – at most recessed 4 ft apart in a star form. I have made sure the bulbs are up to date firmware wise – no issue there, and my lightify led strips work fine.

I have been having a bear of a time with Zigbee, too. I have a case open but as soon as I complain about it, it works, again, and then when I tell them it is working, everything screws up again.

I have a 3 windows and a door using the Smartthings Multi-sensor and a leak sensor I bought from the Smartthings web site that stop responding during the day. If I look at the “recently” in the app, I see that they work for brief periods of time during the day and stop, later. One window is in the very same room as the hub, and my WiFi access point, which is on the opposite side of the room. The window is on the wall adjacent to them, so I cannot think WiFi is interfering with that. Another one is in a bedroom next to that room. The other is down the hall. The moisture sensor is in the basement near the water heater and the door is in a detached garage and I am using an IRIS 3210 as a repeater.

I also have two of the dimmer/smart outlets from the Smartthings web site controlling my living room lights. They report what they are doing but when this strange occurrence happens, you cannot control them or one of them. It knows it is off or on but you cannot turn it off or on through the app. It just sits at “turning on” or “turning off”.

I know Zigbee runs at 2.4GHz, which is what 802.11B/G/N routers use, as well as your microwave oven but my access point switches channels if it sees interference and it has not switched channels. Sure, I could turn off my 802.11B radio on my AP but so many things, like my Ecobee4 thermostat and Nest smoke/CO detectors require it. Plus, A-Band does not have the range.

The problem seems to happen when I add or remove devices and lasts a few days and then magically goes away. It is so bad, I am beginning to not be a fan of Zigbee. I rebooted my hub, today, and enabled it to update Zigbee firmware hoping that it will help but it looks like everything is up to date at 0x00000019.

I cannot help think it is a Zigbee problem in the hub or in the cloud. I know the battery operated sensors probably do not repeat but my dimmer downstairs, which I have had no problems with, and my two living room lamp dimmers are plugged in and I have to think they repeat the signal, with the IRIS 3210 I have just outside in a weather proof outlet box. So, some repeating is going on.