Major WAF Fail

I actually wrote a modified smartapp from @tslagle13 Which only alerts me once a day when it detects acceleration from the st multi device. Works great after 3 days! She just hates how lazy I am relying on all of this technology.

The only thing I can add is till I got into this ST mania, she keeps her iPhone and iPad locked all the time. Before ST she never bothered about passwordsā€¦ How can I explain? :wink:

PS; I have been updating those earlier when she was asleep. No more!

Sounds like you have a newborn if the child is still in a swing and a nursery is still on the ā€œto do listā€ . Even if all of your devices were inexpensive, at 60, thatā€™s a serious investment. Did it become a priority because it seemed like it would help with raising a newborn? It might help to treat it as a hobby and reward yourself with it after knocking out a few things on her list. Either way, sounds like a time for a chat! Good luck!

1 Like

One of the only useful bits of information I got from reading Bill Gatesā€™ ā€œThe Road Aheadā€ in the mid 90s was actually an anecdote about early home automation.

Gates tells a story about a guy in the Valley who had all his lights wired up to go off at a scheduled time. But then, one night he thew a house party, which went late, and all the lights went off on his guests. This being the pre-mobile device era, the guy had to go rooting around in his server closet to manually flip the lights back on, while his party guests stood around in the dark (and probably made jokes at his expense).

Gatesā€™ point was that the benefits of lots of small conveniences can be swamped by the costs of one big inconvenience. That is, the lights going off on their own each night might provide a utility benefit of 1 unit, but leaving his guests in the dark incurs a utility cost of 100 units. And in many of these cases, the utility cost is determined by how displeased your spouse is. Thus, when implementing HA to maximize the ā€œSpousal Acceptance Factor,ā€ avoiding unintended results is far more important that getting one additional successful result.

I always remember this because of the messenger: it was Gates who brought us Clippy, the reigning king of inadvertent deployment. (ā€œHi! It looks like youā€™re trying to automate your home. Can I help?ā€) Still, his observation is sound: adding convenience is good. Avoiding new inconvenience is better.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a very lucky man because my wife doesnā€™t ask much of me. Sheā€™s very agreeable to my hobbies and since I take care of all the bills she trusts that Iā€™m making the right decisions.

I will reiterate everything people are saying.

• Take ā€œautomationā€ step by step.
  • Use automation to solve problems.
  • Solve problems your wife may have to really wow her.
  • Donā€™t make her change her way of life. Switches etc.
  • Make sure your advancements work and are seamless.

Back to my first sentence. One thing I try very hard to do, because she asks for so little, is when there is something she wants to do or done or get. I make sure she gets it. I have made her day with the littlest of things.

If sheā€™s a reasonable women and you solve problems from the 8:57 PM text message. Youā€™ll make huge strides in making her more agreeable to small hickups.

3 Likes

Same hereā€¦:I wish at times I could annoy her just to see her angryā€¦ :wink: she is very accommodating to everything I do with my hobby. The only way I found could annoy her is to trigger the alarm for no apparent reason when she is watching Downton Abbeyā€¦ :wink: and sheā€™s over protective over her iPhone and iPad. 63 devices and she never complains! Will surprise her with an iPhone 6 when she is eligible for it next week. These are the two most important gadgets for her as she can keep in touch with her family back in India.

Her favorite are the hues and least favorite is harmony ultimate homeā€¦

Thatā€™s exactly where my wife is on devices, how is it the Harmony Ultimate Home is such a freaking train wreck?
I know that question is a bit rhetoricalā€¦

@Mike_Maxwell for missus it is no ā€œproperā€ backlighting and physical buttons to change/click channelsā€¦

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
-Mahatma Gandhi

This is my best advice for this situation :smile:

1 Like

@tslagle13 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi is the name. The ā€œMahatmaā€ part roughly translated means ā€œultimate/superior soulā€. :slight_smile: and his followers added that part.

This I did not know! Cool!

The wife and even the mother-in-law have enjoyed the Harmony Smart Control.

Yea, different device than the ultimate home.

We all are born equal, my friend and then some of us decide to get married and get involved/have an affair with ST at the same timeā€¦, life!

1 Like

I am having major issues with my setup. Having to uninstalled and reinstall everything every few days. I regret buying st hub now. Tech support hasnt been helpful in fixing either, just we are working on it.

1 Like

I made you all famous: http://www.cepro.com/article/smartthings_wife_im_sick_of_living_in_an_automated_house/

5 Likes

Feels like a line has been crossed.

1 Like

ā€œWhen a writer is born into a family, the family is finished.ā€
ā€• Czesław Milosz

:disappointed:

2 Likes

@juliejacobson Thanks Julie for quoting me but canā€™t show it to missus! :wink: She is the most important device in my life but unfortunately cannot be turned on or off (may be with a momentary switch). I am the ā€œsmartā€ thing in this case. Keep failing most of the timeā€¦

I have the opposite problem: 4 A/V components, 4 remote controls. Husband calls me crying in the middle of the night if he canā€™t change the channel. The shoemakerā€™s children ā€¦

1 Like