Lowes Iris contact sensor Battery life

I have a ton of the contacts also. 3-4 months 77% battery. To be fair looking in the IDE I don’t see any history of battery reports, but that is the same behavior I have with ST’s official sensors. Seems they go days between battery updates, and the logs only go back 7-10 days.

When do you decide to change the battery?

Its not a matter of when I change the battery, but rather how often. I would estimate the battery lasts two weeks (at most) and I am not talking about the measurements. I am saying the measurement hits 0% and the contact no longer works. But if I replace the battery with a new one (not just take out the old battery and put it back in), the contact works again.

It sounds like I have a bad contact.

PS - the light on the contact is constantly flashing a variety of colors as well.

I had that same problem and I returned it and the new one doesn’t behave that way. I believe you have a bad sensor and recommend replacing it.

Yeah thats not normal. I only get flashes on open/close and occasionally when it checks in (every 15 min or hour)

I am sure its transmitting tearing through batteries. Is this just on one device or multiples?

It’s normal for Lithium batteries to have an initial voltage falloff when first used, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I have Iris contact and motion sensors that have been used since November and they’re all reporting battery levels in the upper 60-mid 70% range. I expect these will give me at least 2-3 years of service life.

A word of warning about the Iris Smart Buttons, Keyfobs, and Pendant which al use coin cell batteries. Besides the fact that they are poorly built garbage, some, especially earlier devices seem to have issues where they eat batteries quickly. I had issues with them under Iris and also ST. I have been told by a support manager that 3-6 month battery life is “normal”. I’ve also had some die in less than month.

The exact values vary by device, but for battery powered zigbee sensors the usual first-tier below 100 is 88. :sunglasses:

I bought 5 of these contact sensors from Lowe’s last week. 1 of the 5 killed the battery in about 6 days, it shows 0% and no longer updates when the door is opened or closed. I did notice twice that it was blinking multi color, and from what I read that meant it was in demo mode. I tried removing the battery and replacing while the sensor was open (read this on another forum as a way to take it out of demo mode), and while the light stopped flashing, the battery drain didn’t stop. The other 4 are all showing 88%. I emailed Iris support this morning and got the following response. Haven’t been home to try it yet but if anyone else is having trouble with these sensors eating batteries, might be worth a shot. I’ll report back once I replace the battery and reset the sensor.

Hello

Thank you for contacting Iris by Lowe’s support regarding your Contact Sensor. Please delete the contact sensor from the account (top left hand menu>devices>find your sensor>more>remove device) and follow the link below for reset instructions.

First Gen- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN7gigLdJuY

Next Gen- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeWmLGAix-g

If you have any other questions please feel free to visit our support website at support.irisbylowes.com or call our customer support group at 855-469-4747. Thank you and have a wonderful rest of your day!

Not sure why a contact sensor needs a “demo” mode.

I haven’t had any issue with the contact sensor, but the Iris motion sensor needs changed about every week and a half, which is not sustainable.

I don’t know if it has anything to do with Zigbee and its mesh or whatever, but I did a heal repair yesterday to see if it’ll help reduce the battery drain.

My iris contact sensors and water sensor have been steady at 77% for weeks.

I have 6 or 7 of the Iris motions, been installed for months still over 77%.

May want to try a full factory reset on it.

The reset did not work for me. New battery is at 66% after 2 hours and the light was blinking all different colors again a few minutes ago.

Return it. Sounds like there was some bad ones that got out.

1 Like

It was definitely faulty. I decided to buy a new Iris since they’re cheaper than the SmartThings sensors. This new one is still at 100% after a few days. Now I’ll use my new receipt to return the faulty one.

1 Like

I returned my bad one and got another one, it’s been working fine. That was the only bad one out of the 10-ish that I’ve bought.

I put in about 20+ of the Iris Contact Sensors when they went on web sale a few months back. (I have a lot of windows) One went all disco color blinky on me. I took the battery out, waited a while and put it back in - and after that it worked fine.

Another one died unexpectedly on me last week. I think it must’ve done the same thing. Bought a new battery, put it in and it went “crazy lights” on me - so I’m assuming it did the same thing. So I took the battery out, waited a bit - and got things back to normal.

I’m keeping my eye on these two. I think the rapid blinking is basically the sensor going haywire and draining the battery. If they keep it up, I’ll just return them to Lowes for replacement. The other 18 have given me zero problems - so I’m not sure if it’s hardware or firmware or what.

Sorry to revive and old thread but figured it’s better than starting a new one. I’ve had my Iris contact sensor for about 2 weeks and I’m now at 76%. It was at 89% for about 5 days before dropping down to 76%. Is that normal for you guys using the stock DHT? I’ve noticed the sensor shows up in the event/activity log about every 30m - 1h. It seems to depend on temperature changes. Based on what I read here, it should stay at 76% for a while.

It’s hard to believe the box says the battery will last up to 2 years. I had one die after about six months, others however, are still going strong so this is definitely YMMV. I haven’t looked into it yet, but maybe how often it reports the temperature may have caused it’s premature death. I put it on an garage side door that is hardy used so I was wondering its location might also have something to do with. The temperature fluctuated wildly there during the day and night. I put a Z-Wave contact sensor without a temperature sensor in it’s placed and relocated the Iris contact sensor. We’ll see how long it will last this time.

Its fairly normal. It reports at certain intervals and not every percent.

1 Like

Has anyone tried soldering a 3V wall wart to the battery contacts? I want to install one of these in my garage to detect if I left my garage door open, but with winter weather I don’t expect a battery to last very long.

Has anyone ever experienced double or even triple notifications with this sensor? Inexplicably, in the logs I see open-close-open-close the majority of times when the door is opened and closed just once. Thanks.