Lost Hub configuration, reseted to factory default!

Just happened to me too. Saw my app had a lot of disconnect/reconnects. Cleared it all and when I opened my smart things app, it asked me to re-login. Then it asked for activation code. After entering the code, it showed me a clean slate.

I tried logging into https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ to see if my custom apps and devices were there but nothing is shown. It seems my account is brand new. There is only one location. Did the database get corrupted?

I’m using Android 6.0 with latest ST app from Play Store.
I’m using 1st generation of ST hub.

Right now, after deleting second location that was created before, I
was able to login, and see my devices is there installed, and give me
accurate information about current state and when state is changing. The
problem only with Philips HUE, I can’t communicate with it.

And the main problem is still there, sometimes the app says unexpected error and logged out again :frowning: and again
So I still lose my control of my home.

Nico, are your automations and smartapps still running?

After deleting second location, I was able to login. But all devices are now missing/disconnected :frowning:
Went to a different tab, then an error message “An error occurred” and got logged out again.

When i try to login, I’m being prompted for my country and activation code again.
I try to enter my activation code, but I’m getting “invalid code”. Now I can’t even login to the mobile app.

Sent logs via email to support, still waiting for a response.

I’m sure you are aware of this but are you using a UK or USA hub.
The url you quoted is for ONE of the US shards.

@slagle why can you not show the shard that the hub is connected to.
This would really make life easy for people in situations like this. For both the customer and the ST support staff.

The last setup, all my automation is related to Hue, so I can’t make sure whether is working or not.
But for sure, all my device like ST open/close sensor, ST motion sensor, Aeon micro switch (zwave) is working properly when I can logged in and see it via app, since I can’t login again, I can’t analyze another function.

I just tried the workaround to relink my ZigBee devices back to the hub… no go.

Awaiting Luis to start his shift to advise on next course of action.

I suspect I have to nuke everything and restart from zero.

Need to know what happened and how to avoid this from happening again. Re-pairing all my devices will be a major Pita.

Might want to consider to pair them to the hue hub instead.

Hope this will never happen what ever the reason is

UPDATE
My HUE is now communicating with my hub, press minimote to turn on hue is working, it’s seem the back end problem is disappear,
BUT
I still can’t logged in to my account via android app, I still have no control via app.
All data at IDE is right and working.

Yup. I ordered my Smarthings from Amazon USA.
Anyway I suspect one of their databases got corrupted and is replicating the corruption over their cloud.
I’ll explain how I came to this conclusion.

As I did not have any additional location (it was originally using Home before it went wonky, and location was named ‘Home’ again after it went wonky). I figured I would add and configure my devices again. However smarthings could not detect anything!

So here’s what I did, I deleted the location ‘Home’ and created a new one called ‘OliHome’.
I then ran a detection again. This time it detected all my devices!
So i figured okay. Just spend a few hours setting everything up again.

But there was a few times, (in IDE) when I clicked the links for my Device Handlers and SmartApps. I would see my old device handlers and My Smartapps there.

Then if I log off and log on again, they would be gone. 9/10 times I would not see them but those other times…
This got me thinking one of the servers lost my data but the others had my old data in the cloud.

Also might explain why smarthings didn’t detect any of my devices when location called ‘Home’ was created (after it went wonky). Because somewhere in the cloud, my devices were already detected so it wasn’t detecting anything new. It was only after I deleted ‘Home’ and created a new location name did it start working.

Anyway, I’ve reconfigured my smartapps again (with some new changes) and everything looks good. (spend nearly a day fixing it all up). I now hope my old data doesn’t return and my new one doesnt get wiped off again.

Ok. The reason I said about the server address is people with uk hubs have been caught out using the wrong url when looking at their ide.
I still think @tslagle13 that the server our hubs are connected to should be shown somewhere in the hub.

We have confirmed this is a trending issue and are working to address the root cause. It appears that the cloud platform is informing the mobile client that the account has no locations and is forcing you to reset the Hub. This appears to only be affecting a subset of Android users on our NA01 shard. When it occurs, force quit and re-open the mobile app. Please DO NOT run the initial getting started walk-though or you will lose your connected devices.

We are working on a fix now and will provide an update with more information ASAP.

Worth noting I saw the same thing for some hours earlier this week on IOS 10.1

Thanks for the heads up! We are seeing similar symptoms, but different failures on iOS. We identified the cause and are working on a fix. Status update coming shortly

1 Like

Hi @Aaron - I’m on the NA02 shard and experience the same issue (Android 7.1). Let me know if you need more info.

Is it confirmed that the hub config is wiped after proceeding with the welcome/activation key input?

Any other workaround to recover the zigbee pairing?

OR i should move on and start the salvage process?

Pls consider creating a backup feature to backup critical hub config. This is a terrible failure mode to recover from.

Imagine if this failure occurred to the masses and more customers lost their config and have to restart from scratch.

After this episode, i’m hesitant to recommed smarthings to my non geeky friends. It’s still too bleeding edge stuff.

1 Like

This is probably the most important impactful issue I have seen. I am sure there are folks on these boards that would talk about their setup and how simple and perfected it is. I would like to know how that avoids this?

Anyway. It doesn’t. There is a lot of Victim blaming in that regard.

Holy crap st.

1 Like

I agree.

I freaked in empathy when I read the Incident Report.

I wonder how many Customers affected??? I can certainly image that a non-trivial proportion of Customers who were asked for their Welcome Codes just went ahead and input it.

1 Like

Support tried their best. My hub config is toast.

Removing all smartapps and devices and starting over.

This time round, I’m pairing my china Kudled led fixtures to hue hub instead.

Other sensors and switches will still goto ST hub.

Still waiting for ST to reply on how to prevent a repeat of this epiaode…

Suggestions as follows:

1. Provide hub backup and restore feature
  2. Warn and double warn before proceeding to claim a used hub and wipe existng config.
1 Like

I’ve rebuilt from the ground up once already. I would not do it again. It took a month’s worth of my time.

At this point, HA is not providing a value - it’s more of a burden.

If SmartThings were able to develop this ability, then they would have already delivered the “Hub Migration Tool” promised for the end of 2015.

Someday it will happen… Or not.