Looking for guidance on Kitchen CO/Smoke automations

I’m not sure of how to label this, but I’m trying to setup my kitchen so that the kitchen exhaust fan gets automated based off of smoke/carbon monoxide levels. I currently have the smart switch that I can use to turn on the fan, but I’m struggling with the carbon monoxide/smoke part of this idea. I just bought the First Alert Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm, but I don’t think this will work in the fashion I would like because the alarm doesn’t seem to have sensitivity levels (unless there is a device handler that I haven’t found yet). I attached a screenshot that shows all of the information that this detector shows in smartthings.

In an effort to prevent going on too much of a rant. My idea is to have something that, when ‘some’ carbon monoxide is detected, than the fan gets turned on. Hopefully this all makes sense, and I can’t wait to hear everyones feedback

UL listed carbon monoxide sensors are designed for a single purpose: to provide an inexpensive reliable device that can alert humans of dangerous carbon monoxide exposure. Consequently, they have the following specifications:

The UL standard requires detectors to alarm within 90 minutes when exposed to 100 ppm ; 35 minutes when exposed to 200 ppm and 15 minutes when exposed to 400 ppm.

So those just aren’t going to match the use case you describe.

Instead, you will need to look for a probably much more expensive “air quality sensor“ which also tests carbon monoxide. These are normally used to trigger air purifiers, and will give you a much wider range of levels to check.

There are several of these which work with Ifttt, so you can get some integration that way.

To find ones that have a specific smartthings integration, open the app, tap on the + in the top right corner, choose devices, and then look by type. I think awair has one, but check to be sure.

2 Likes

Great advice, thank you

1 Like

Are there any air quality sensors that use z-wave? I looked at the brands listed under air quality sensor on smartthings and all those seem to be wifi based. In my experience, z-wave is must quicker and more responsive

Understood. There are a few Zigbee or zwave but I only know of one model with a working groovy DTH, and since SmartThings’ support for Groovy will be ending soon and I haven’t heard of anyone working on a replacement driver for the new architecture, I am reluctant to recommend anything that might stop working in a few months. :disappointed_relieved:

There are Zigbee versions are from Tuya and Aqara. Community members have been trying to get them to work with SmartThings. You will see some forum discussions about these projects.

The zwave version is from MCOHome. It has an identical case to a WiFi one from Tuya, but MCOHome has put a zwave chip in it (Tuya so far does not do zwave, just WiFi or Zigbee) and one community member DOES have a successful groovy DTH for it. But…groovy. So that will stop working soon. (The topic title is a clickable link.)

So I don’t really know what to say about these options. It’s just safer and less hassle to stick with the brands listed in the ST app for now.

Sorry not to have better news on this category.

And if you haven’t heard of Edge Before, here’s the FAQ On that:

FAQ: I have no idea what Edge is. Is that a new developer tool? (2022)

@DJFliX and @Zach_Varberg have Edge Drivers for “Aqara TVOC Sensors”. I don’t know anything about it, but may be they can help

1 Like

Oh wow, there is a lot of things going on then with the transition to edge than. So this looks kind of complicated. I had ored that MCO sensor but they emailed me and said that it uses EU z-wave and asked if I would like to cancel the order. Not knowing if there was a difference, I went ahead and cancelled. I appreciate all the advice, and will look into this more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zwave uses different frequencies in different regions and the frequency of the end device has to match the frequency of the hub exactly. so they were right: if you have a US frequency hub, you have to get a US zwave frequency sensor.

( The reason for the different frequencies is to avoid interference with local first responder communications and mobile communications, which as you probably know are also on different frequencies in different regions. Zigbee doesn’t have this issue because it uses the same frequency that Wi-Fi does so it doesn’t interfere with first responder communications.)

MCOHome did certify a US version of that sensor, but I don’t know who, if anyone, sells it. It’s possible that they got that version certified but never actually released it. And you would still have the same issue that right now there’s only a groovy DTH for it.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/regions/2/categories/8/products?company=760

Okay, that makes a lot of sense with the frequency deal.
Are the Device handlers even that big of a deal with z-wave? I mean, the multi-sensor that I have still provided me with humidity/illuminance/temperature/motion with the handler. Granite, the handler let me change more stuff but it was still serviceable out of the box. If all things are equal, the air quality sensor should, at the very least, let me see the numbers
In any case, I will keep doing more research. Appreciate all your advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

It just depends on the model. If you can find a generic handler that get you what you want, that’s fine.

By coincidence I have been interested in an indoor air quality sensor that works with ST in the UK.
Seems there is just too little interest for them to be affordable or available
I briefly looked at Awair a day or so ago… how much !!
We do have an air purifier in the house that detects pm2.5 with a Hepa filter and is very sensative but the device manufacture so far have not shown any interest in supplying a c2c solution
Upshot… definately a lack of AQ zigbee or zwave sensors that work with ST

That’s a shame. After hours of trying to find an air quality sensor that isn’t $500, I think I gave up on it. I’m trying to find a workatound to deliver my desired result but will see

1 Like