Looking for advice on which motion sensor to buy

Looking to buy a motion sensor for my system. Kind of want an out door one but might be willing to go with an indoor one because i want it in the garage. Any advice would be great. I have been looking at the Hue one(I have a Hue bridge) and also the Aeotec brand because they make an outdoor one.

Thanks for any help.

I recently picked up a ZOOZ Z-Wave Plus 4-in-1 Sensor ZSE40. It was been very reliable and quick to react.

I recently replaced my smartthings brand garage motion sensor with this one. It is motion sensing only. Can operate on battery or USB. USB power allows it to act as a repeater. It’s 180° field of view and up to 45 ft distance covers the entire double garage really well in my set up. It uses the stock dth and runs local.

GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Sensor, Table, Shelf, or Wall Mount, On/Off after No Motion is Detected, 180 Degree Detection Range, Scene Activation, Works with SmartThings, Wink, 34193 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KQDIU52/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_7QBW6D6KYYS28E6NH21Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

What country are you in? The device selection does vary, although both of the two that you mentioned are available in multiple regions.

You’ve gotten a lot of excellent advice on US brands. I did want to quickly mention a couple of notes on the two that you originally mentioned, which are available in multiple regions.

THE AEOTEC MULTISENSOR

Which model Aeotec sensor were you looking at? Their multi sensor is rated for outdoor use, but specifically not for motion, because it will have too many false alerts.

From the manufacturer:

Outdoor sensor .
Use outdoor intelligence. When installed in a waterproof & anti-condensation enclosure, you can use MultiSensor 6’s non-motion sensors outdoors.

This is a common issue with most PIR (passive infrared) sensors, which can be set off by a gust of wind or a ray of sunlight. However, since you intend to use this inside a garage, that won’t likely be an issue. But I did just want to mention that the aeotec multi sensor is rated outdoors by the manufacturer for temperature, light, and humidity, but not for motion. It should be fine in a garage, though.

The Hue Sensor

The hue outdoor sensor is quite popular in the community, and is generally a good choice, but if you want to use it with smartthings you connect it without going through the Hue Bridge. And that requires custom code. So once you have it set up with SmartThings, you can no longer use it with HomeKit or the Phillips hue app or anything which requires the hue bridge even if you separately have a hue bridge on your smartthings account.

So it might work for you or it might not, but I did just want to mention that.

[

S2 Outdoor Motion Sensor MODEL ZSE29 - Zooz

](ZOOZ ZSE29 | Outdoor Motion Sensor)

heavy, big and it has a good weather gasket. I haven’t tried to tweak it. The one interesting non-obvious thing(s) about it, the lens turns big-red when battery is low (and maybe other conditions). And it runs ok on NiMH where fully charged it reads about 60%

1 Like

Thank you all for responding. I’ll try to let you know what I buy and why. I am in USA.
Has anyone else noticed that Smartthings devices are none existent on the market place now?

Thanks for the good input. Was really hoping to use it for a strobe light tied to a smart outlet on my Smartthings for Halloween and then repurpose for the garage to have motion lights in there. Might just have to buy more then one kind.

1 Like

Samsung made the decision to stop making smartthings-branded hardware a few months ago, but they have signed up Aeotec as their partner for the US and the EU. So most of the same devices are still available, but now sold under the aeotec name.

An Update Regarding our Hardware

1 Like

I use Ikea Motion sensor outdoor. I live in Southern Finland and we had rather cold last winter. Lowest was -25°C and it still works fine. Usually our winters are warmer so I expect it to last this coming winter too. When it comes to capabilities it is not the best possible but it costs only 10€ so I consider it a pretty good bang for a buck

1 Like