Aeotech Motion Sensors with Caseta Switches

Hey all, I have a few Lutron Caseta smart switches installed for outside flood lights around my house, and I wanted to add motion sensing to turn them on. I bought a Aeotech hub and motion sensor, and got it all setup up. My issue is that the motion sensor seems too sensitive, and is constantly triggering the lights to turn on, even when nothing has seemed to have moved on my driveway (for example). I noticed that I can adjust the automation “condition”, and currently have it set to require “10 seconds” of motion before it triggers, but the sensor still seems to trigger too often. Is there any way to reduce the “sensitivity” of the motion sensor? Or is there a different motion sensor that would work better?

Aeotec multi sensors specifically say in the user manual that they are for indoor use only because of the number of frequent false alerts outdoors from changes in temperature. Even a gust of wind or a cloud passing over the sun can trigger them.

There are four things people usually do:

1. you can try sheltering the motion sensor and limiting the detection field. Some people put a little straw or pipe over the lens and point it directly at the area they want to check. This is a matter of trial and error, it works for some people and not for others.

Here’s @eric182 ’s Picture of his setup using this method:

IMG_3220

1. You can buy a PIR motion sensor specifically designed for outdoor use. There are two that work well with smartthings: a Z wave device from zooz and The philips Hue outdoor motion sensor.

You will not need the Phillips hue bridge to use their motion sensor, it can be used directly with a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, although you may need custom code.

1. use a different technology which has fewer false alerts. The most popular are the ones built into video doorbells and video cameras. These are less likely to have false alerts than the PIR models. Ring and Arlo have the best integration with smartthings, but check the forum for information about specific models.

2. use multiple motion sensors pointed at the same area to create a zone, and then trigger only if they all report motion. You can do this, but it usually ends up costing about as much as a video camera, which will still be more reliable. So this used to be a more popular option than it is now.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!