Looking for a zwave plug for TV

I am looking for a zwave plug that I can connect my TV to so that when I turn on the TV using the remote the plug will show as “ON” in ST and when I turn off the TV with the remote the plug will show “OFF” in ST. I want to be able to use this ON/OFF capability in a piston in webCoRE so that when the TV is OFF the plug will show OFF, etc. I have a Leviton DZPA1 but it only displays ON in ST for me to be able to turn the TV on or off. Any suggestions?

If you use a smart socket that is capable of measuring the power drawn then you could use webcore or a smartapp to show when the power drawn is above a certain level turn on a virtual switch.
i.e When the TV is on it will draw more power then when it is on standby

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I’d suggest too. That’s essentially how I figure out if my Washing machine is done or not.

2 Likes

@Mike1616

Me too! :slight_smile:

It’s really easy to create a little smartapp to do all sorts of things on recorded power levels

What type of smart socket? Any suggestions for this?

Jane, it really depends where you are as there are different models for different regions/countries.
I’m in the UK so can only really advise about sockets on sale here.

I am in Canada.

We have a guy here who is the fountain of all SmartThings knowledge :slight_smile:
I’m sure @JDRoberts will be along soon with some suggestions

Can I change the DTH for this plug Leviton DZPA1 to show wattage?

It would seem that doesn’t work. I tried it and it still doesn’t display wattage. I can see the dots where it would be but nothing shows there. It is a dumb plug, i guess.

That’s a function of the device itself. Although the device handler would need to support this as well, if the device doesn’t do power monitoring, then it’ll never work.

I was about to say that :slight_smile:

If you look here:

Someone answered the question

So, what plugs are good smart plugs for this application?

Unfortunately, being from my little island where we only get strange stuff I can’t answer that question :slight_smile:

The Iris Smart Plugs have worked out well for me. I believe that Lowes has a sale on them now.

I wish Lowe’s Canada sold iris stuff but they don’t. I will look at amazon.

amazon.com has them and will ship to Canada. I have the " original" Iris plug when it was Centralite and sold by ST store. Works like a charm

I’ve got a couple of these and they do wattage: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15654

cheapest Z-wave I could find

Do these monoprice plugs show as off if the switch is turned off and on if the switch is turned on in ST?

That’s probably the default behavior of the “plug” (or perhaps “switch”) device type. I have a GE Z-wave plug and that’s how mine works. In the ST app it looks just like any other light bulb or z-wave switch.

But I also have a Zooz power switch attached to my sump pump and the device handler for it makes it look completely different. But it still would show On/Off in the ST App. But I did modify that device handler myself so that I didn’t accidentally turn it off.