Looking for a Wifi/Zigbee smartplug that can control an automation based on current power usage

I would like to be able to control certain automations based on my TV’s power state

For example:

• When the TV turns on, turn on the speakers and dim the lights
  • Turn on the lights in response to motion unless the TV is on.
  • When the TV turns off, turn on the lights

You get the idea. The easiest way I can think to do this is to connect the TV through a smart plug that relays realtime power usage to the hub which can then use that usage information as a condition for automations.

Are there smart plugs that support this functionality? I’m not interested in historical power monitoring or anything fancy like that, I just need the real time reporting to ST.

Thanks in advance.

What country are you in? is z-wave an option?

What country are you in? The device selection does vary somewhat.

I actually just started a topic for exactly these kinds of plug-in pocket sockets last week, because the selection of what works without custom code has changed with the newest version of the smartthings app.

Anyway, so far it looks like the aeotec Z wave smart switch 7 will do this. Otherwise any Zigbee metering plug that works with the stock DTH should. Right now it seems like a lot of the plug manufacturers are having supply chain issues, though, lots of models are out of stock or have six week shipping delays. :disappointed_relieved:

Energy Reporting Smart Plugs that Don’t Need Custom Code? (2021)

1 Like

I am in the United States. Z-wave is an option (90% of my devices are Z-Wave) I just don’t like using Z-wave for these kinds of constant monitoring functions. If the best device for the job is Z-Wave though, I don’t have a problem with that.

1 Like

I think the only Zigbee option available in the USA is this GE/Jasco outlet

2 Likes

This innr model might work. The amazon listing says it does, but I can’t find that model # in any smartthings default device handlers

2 Likes

So the innr zigbee model added to the SmartPower DTH is the SP 120, which is a UK model. Its very possible that the US model has the same internals, so on the zigbee side the model # is the same but on Amazon its a different model #.

2 Likes

Given the price, it might be worth a shot. I think I’ll give it a go and see how it does.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes! I like the price and size of it better than the GE/Jasco model.

1 Like

Well I bought the Innr plug from Amazon and just got it set up. Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, it’s just an off off switch with no option for power monitoring in SmartThings.

Not sure if there’s a different DTH I should try or if it just doesn’t do what I’d hoped for.

Here’s what I see for the outlet:

Any other ideas?

You could try manually changing the device handler to smartpower outlet.

2 Likes

I’m doing something like this; my setup is not ideal but it gets the job done.

For power monitoring, I use a Blitzwolf SHP3 flashed with Tasmota, and then I’m running Tasmota Connect to integrate it (and my other Tasmota devices) with Smartthings.

My TV is plugged into the Blitzwolf outlet 1, which is always on. This outlet is used for power monitoring. I have an automation configured such that when the power goes above 80 watts, it turns on a second switch where my receiver is plugged into. There is a similar automation configured for when the power drops below 50 watts, it turns off the receiver switch.

Originally I had the receiver plugged into the 2nd Blitzwolf switch, but it was flaky and I ended up moving the receiver to different simple on/off zigbee switch. (This could be any simple switch controlled by Smartthings).

I don’t think the Blitzwolf is still manufactured, so the cheapest way to get power monitoring I think is the Sonoff S31 https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Monitoring-Compatible-Assistant-Supporting/dp/B07YDC6D4D. You’d need to flash this with Tasmota or a similar firmware in order to integrate it with Smartthings, so it’s definitely only for those who like tinkering.

I use ZooZ plugs to monitor power on several devices so those send power level usage. (I think they use a custom DTH)

I also have a couple old Iris plugs (3210-L) that also report power usage level.

I use the level report from the iris plugs to trigger automations. The power level from the ZooZ plugs to know when things are on (window AC, TV ect…)