Local executions new indicator (BETA Firmware)

@Brad_ST the preconditions like “only if switch”

One example is that I only want to set the level if the light is off and the door is opened. If I try to do the same in automations I’m not able to turn the light off when the door is open, because the automation will turn it back on since its a condition and not a precondition.

1 Like

Same for heating (Uk)

@William_Knecht @Mariano_Colmenarejo
Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see how to combine sunrise/sunset and a specific time for Smart Lighting. I tried setting a specific time as the activator.

Here’s an example

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks. So you can’t mix sunrise/sunset and specific time for the trigger but you can use a combo as a filter.

I cannot make any promises about them getting addressed but does this look like a consolidated list of features available in Smart Lighting that users would like to see in the automation rule builder?

1. Turn off device X amount of time after device event happens
    example: Turn off backyard light 5 minutes after motion stops on backyard motion sensor.

2. Greater than 60 minute offset for sunrise/sunset events
    example: Turn on backyard light 120 minutes after sunset.

3. Mirror behavior
    example: Pool light mirrors the behavior of backyard light.

4. Additional preconditions
    example: Turn on pool light at 8 pm only if backyard light is on.

5. Ability to mix sunrise/sunset and specific time as period of time filter
    example: Turn on backyard light if motion is detected on backyard motion sensor and it is between sunset and midnight.

11 Likes

In fact, smart lighting cannot do the combination of sunset/sunraise and fixed time if you choose sunset/sunraise as activator.
But it would be nice this feature if possible:
6. Turn on a light at sunset and turn off at a fixed time. Now two automations are required, both with smart lighting and with automations.

Point 5 is a period filter, not sunset or sunraise activator.
Thanks

@Brad_ST, on the topic of SmartThings possibly merging Smart Lighting Routines over to Automations in the future, what about SmartThings support advising me that their is a 250 Automation Behavior limit? (explained below from SmartThings support). Have the Automation Behavior limits been removed?

Because as far as this Behavioral limit in effect as recently as February 2021, if I had to take all of my Smart Lighting Routine Behaviors I have now and add them up with what I currently have in Automation Behaviors today, then I might be very close or even possibly over the 250 Behaviors limit.

Here is the SmartThings support reference about the ‘total number of Automation device/condition/action Behavior limits’.

(SmartThings)
Feb 19, 2021, 6:28 PM MST

Hello,
Thanks for reaching out to Samsung SmartThings support.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
I would also like to add:

• The total number of automation behavior should be less than 250. Each device/condition/action in automation counts as a behavior. For example, one automation that controls 10 devices has 10 behaviors
  • Considering the above, please remove the unnecessary automation/s to reduce the number of automation behavior

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Tapan
Samsung SmartThings Support.

1 Like

I can try to inquire internally but you are only at about 120 combined automations between Smart Lighting automations and custom automations in the new app.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s the behavior limit, but the number of automations limit has been raised. I used to hit it all the time and have to shift automations to webcore. But I’ve added several over the past month moving things off smart lighting and haven’t had any trouble.

5 Likes

@Brad_ST, this one has been highlighted since Automations can be built. It is a long-long over due one.

That 60 minutes limit is narrow. And nobody ever gave any explanation why it is only 60 minutes.

@Brad_ST I see that preconditions are now added. Just tested and it was what I needed to make the transition for my last Smart Lighting rules. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thats a great tip… I will do that to do not depend of internet connection to keep alarm prepared to trigger the siren…

1 Like

I don’t believe any of these have seen the light of day yet have they (not sure about #4)?

I finally started converting my SmartLighting to Routines. It’s very disappointing that after all this time there’s still a bunch that I can’t convert (or I have to replace with multiple routines).

If I understand them right, #1 and #4 are solved. You can now set “no motion for X minutes” or “door stays open X minutes” conditions. And just about any condition can be set as a precondition now.

Thanks. Yeah, I realized the preconditions are there.

For #1 I think I misunderstood and yes, looks like Routines covers that now.

#2 and #5 are a real pain.

1 Like

For me No’s. 1&3 would take first place(s), I see potential if groups were available to routines (rather than scenes) but mirror is something I use a lot in conjunction with conditionals such as lux & movement…

The ability to perform an action across many things (lights/sockets off for ex.) outside of scenes and multiple target routines is invaluable, again something actionable groups would help address but all useless if routines/scenes remain limited to 200 - which I hit a while ago and use Smart Lighting to help mitigate…

1 Like

Actually, I did not misunderstand. Your comment here:

This is what I thought it was doing which is not what I want. I want to be able to specify n minutes after motion has stopped. However, I’ve been testing this and I’m not convinced what you describe is actually happening. More to come.

UPDATE: Okay, so it looks like new activations of a motion sensor does basically trigger the automation again effectively restarting the auto-off timer. But I do think the timer is from the start of the trigger, not when motion stops for eg. That’s where I was getting mixed up.

Yeah there’s two types of “delays”.

The IF condition is a remains statement that resets every time the condition is broken before the time is up

The THEN action is a wait statement that starts as soon as the IF side valuates true and AFAIK it is not canceled if the IF side changes from true to false.

2 Likes

My only complaint with this is that it still can do a delay for two things (two motion sensors, no motion, for 5 minutes), and if you do a delay, it’s no longer a local routine. Both were possible in SmartLighting. I’ve migrated, but I’ve had to do virtual switches as a workaround…