Linear WD500Z-1 compatibility

ELV is Electronic Low Voltage. Different dimmers have different waveforms.

Anyone having issues with WD500Z-1 dimmers after the update to STH v2 in Nov? Mine are all off line. I’ve reset and pair numerous times. All of my Cree and GE bulbs are working fine. I talked with support and they told me the WD500Z-1’s are not on the compatibility list and are likely the issue. I’ve been using them for almost 2 yrs. Really sucks if this update has broken a good thing! Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide to get me back automating!

-Rod

There are some other people who have reported problems with Z wave devices, although not as many as have reported problems with zigbee devices.

Thanks! I hope they resolve this soon. It almost seems that the STH has a
deprecated signal as well. I recall pairing devices at a greater distance
in the past. Now I literally have to have the STH about a foot away.

Anyone know if it’s possible to restrict these switches to work like an on/off switch so no one can accidentally dim a light/fixture you don’t want dimmed?

I’m guessing no. But the reason I ask is cause these are always cheaper than the on/off switches.

1 Like

Ditto. I would also like to know this. I am hoping to use this switch as a ON/OFF switch.

I wonder if you could create a CoRE piston to detect that the level dipped below 100 (for an “off” press) and went above 0 (for an “on” press) and then set the level to 0 or 100 accordingly. Even if a single touch was enough to adjust the level by + or - 1, I’m not sure what the response time would be. I’m also not sure how practical this approach would be if you have more than a few dimmers in the house.

Ahh, you just explained my issue. Time to toss this piece of crap and get a Vera. Enough is enough.

Actually, the culprit ended up being an old baby monitor causing interference.

1 Like

No matter. I know what the culprit is this time. It’s Samsung, their updates, and their refusal to allow me to shut them off. Out they go. If I can’t sell it on ebay, I’ll post a video of what happens to the hub at the range.

Was anyone able to get indicator LED OFF on this dimmer switch while the switch is OFF?

Did you all have to do anything on your smartthings hub prior to pairing or just enter device discovery mode on ST hub and then double tap the switch? I’ve tried all of the above with no luck. The switch is working as a dumb switch currently.

1 Like

Going back to these switches to solve an issue where my electrician failed me, needed to use the remote in a location where there was no line. So I’m stuck with these.

They associated great for presses but when I use Alexa or the ST app to control one the partner switch does not sync up, is that normal behavior?

Yes, if you are only relying on Z wave direct association to allow the auxiliary to control the master dimmer.

You can use the “mirror“ feature in the SmartThings app to keep the states in sync.

1 Like

OMG I never noticed the mirror option before! Yes! Do I need to set two mirrors up (both ways with one
Primary one secondary) or will setting up one lighting automation cover an action on either? Thanks!!!

For your situation, yes, you need to mirror both ways so that the master mirrors the auxiliary and the auxiliary mirrors the master. So two automations.

You’re a champ! Thanks so much for confirming. Not sure if it’s any more efficient (two configurations instead of 4) but I also found a standalone smartapp Two-Way Switch Sync before I saw the mirror option that also seems to work. I had been using smart lighting with turn off and turn on actions in a similar way to the mirror. I imagine either is cool and Smart Lighting is “native”, just always looking to accomplish stuff in the cleanest way.