Linear WA00Z1 Smart Light Switch Cover (US)

A little update on things…

• I ordered one of these, scheduled delivery is next Tuesday, the 22nd.
  • This will be my first device type that’s not virtual. I’m slowly figuring out Z-wave. @jody.albritton and @slagle might be hearing a lot from me with questions. I’ve printed like 10 pieces of paper with all kinds of info on them. Source code, Z-wave certifications, and the WA00Z-1 manual.
  • I’m designing this to be fully Compatible with all SmartApps that work with the Aeon Minimote. Looking like the top button will be button 1 and the bottom will be button 2.
  • My ultimate goal is to get something accomplished my the next dev. call.
1 Like

You should also be able to get a lot of help in the developer section of the forums:

https://community.smartthings.com/c/developers/writing-device-types

Thanks @JDRoberts for the heads up. Between this and the osram dimmer switch I’m finally hopeful that I’ll be able to convince the wife that smart bulbs aren’t the worst idea ever. Now we just need a device type…

1 Like

I got it in! Here’s a few pictures!

It replaces the whole light switch cover. Comes with screws and 3M tape. To the IDE!

1 Like

Does this still allow the original switch to stay in place or does it need to be removed? It is hard to tell by the pic but it looks like it wouldn’t have room for a switch behind it, unless it only works with newer Decora (paddle) switches and not the normal toggle switches.

The switch stays in the on (or off) position. No wiring needed, it fits over the switch. It works with a rocker & supposed to work with Decora switches as well.

Essentially an instant retrofit, just add smart bulbs, provides 2 buttons.

1 Like

Does ST recognize it as a button device?

It’s recognized as a “Z-wave Device”. Made some big progress on a device type this afternoon/evening, but not ready for release.

2 Likes

Hope it works well for you and you can share something soon. Thanks!

Ok, so it is essentially the same as the OSRAM switch I am working on except it is z-wave instead of zigbee and has a different look. I like the look of the OSRAM switch better but since I am unable to get it to work properly if you can get this working I may consider getting a couple.

Thanks for the support! I hope to have something up on here soon.

It appears to be the same. I have something pieced together and working. Still have some work to do before I feel confident in releasing it on here.

Some notes on my work…
What Works:

• Basic Functionality
  • Battery Reporting

What still needs work:

• Important! Device Fingerprinting to device type
  • Device supports an option to invert the buttons (top becomes bottom), not really needed since buttons are independent for ST, but cool anyway
  • Performance Optimizations
  • Clean-up: Code is a mess with many commented lines & debug logging.
1 Like

Great work!

When you say “basic functionality is working,” did you mean via zwave association with other zwave devices? Or as a button controller to the hub?

It works as a button controller! Both buttons are independent (meaning there’s a button 1 for top and button 2 for bottom. It works with all SmartApps that work with the Aeon Minimote, tested with Smart Lighting. I just need to make it a bit better, then I’ll upload the code.

One thing that is hurting things a bit is the issues with the ST Platform. I do the best to test, but keep getting all kinds of errors on the app.

1 Like

Here is a “Milestone 1” release of it. It is far from perfect (Device Fingerprint needs testing, code is messy), but it works! Button 1 maps to the top button and button 2 maps to the bottom. It should work with any Button Controller SmartApp, tested with Smart Lighting.

I could use some help perfecting this device type. Almost could consider terribly written.

3 Likes

Nicely done. I’m going to order one of these and see how it works.

1 Like

I think it would be better to move the Device Type efforts to the thread @JDRoberts created.

Been busy working on this piece by piece. It’s been a lot of fun so far!

1 Like

New to this community and unfortunately have the Wink 2 hub but run into a similar problem with my philips hue lights and people turning them off manually. I read this thread and am excited about the GoControl cover. Is this still the best option? I see that the last post was a while ago and realize this market/industry is growing rapidly and want to get whats best. I have phillipe hue throughout my house and then in the bathrooms I do not and plan to add leviton smart switches.

There are several different options, depending on exactly what you want to accomplish. And the Sylvania smart switch cover, which is very similar to the one in this thread but looks a little different, has also become popular. See the following FAQ:

What does that device have to do with the topic of this thread?

I’m sorry, should be a reply in a topic about in Wall Mounted Switches in general.

I delete it.

Grtn Ben

1 Like