Linear GD00Z-4 Z-Wave - Stays as "Unknown"

Keep in mind that you might actually need to pair the tilt sensor with the garage door opener itself under some circumstances. After fiddling with my units for days I was able to piece together this info from a few different sites and comments from people who purchased the unit on Amazon.

The tilt sensor uses some kind of proprietary communication protocol and talks directly with the main unit and not through the Z-Wave network, so ST doesn’t know anything about it. This is important because the sensor talks to the unit to let it know the garage door state…

If you send the controller a command to open / close the door, it waits to hear from the tilt sensor about the door state (closing / closed, opening / open). If it doesn’t get that message for whatever reason, you get one more change to operate the door after 30 seconds. If that attempt doesn’t get a response either, the unit goes into “lockout” until a the door is operated “locally” (you use your remote, button, whatever).

If THAT doesn’t reset the unit, then you’ll need to re-pair the controller with the tilt sensor. This sucks a lot because it requires you climbing on a ladder to go press the button…

To re-pair the tilt sensor with the unit you have to press and hold the side button for about 7 seconds (until you hear a beep).

Then you take your tilt sensor and change the position (vertical to horizontal or vice versa). You can take it off the door and flip it manually, as long as you press the little contact inside that lets the sensor know it’s mounted, or you can open / close the door if you don’t want to unmount it.

You should hear a short beep from the unit to let you know it’s “found” the sensor and paired with it.

I think they do this in case you have to replace a damage sensor or something, that way you can just replace it and pair it and you’re good to go without having to mess with the main unit too much.

21 Likes