Linear Dimmers / Switches

Double Tap allows you to hit the rocker at the top or bottom once to perform an action such as turn the light off and twice in succession to, for example, turn a group of lights off. It works with GE great and used to work for Linear (for me anyway) but stopped many months ago when something changed in the ST backend/firmware.
I started using Linear because they dim better than GE on LED bulbs but I really miss Double Tap.

So just to confirm, do the new GE switches have double tap?

Double tap does work with Linear Switches.

So i just read through this thread and the posts are very helpful but I needed some clarity as I am new to smartthings but not new to automation. I bought a bunch of the linearWD500Z-1 to replace intermatic switches witch are giving me connection issues. Does linear make any no neutral switches?
What is the difference between theWD500Z-1 and WS15Z-1? Also what is double tap app?
thanks for your help

The WD500z-1 is a dimmer switch and the WD15Z-1 is an on/off switch. I believe they all need neutral wire to work.
Double tap is an app that allow you to have an extra command when you tap the switch twice. An example would be. You tap the On once and the light attached to the switch comes on. You tap the ON twice and you can program to turn another device on by sending the command to the hub.

1 Like

that makes sense thanks for your help much appreciated

Note after the most recent update, many of the double tap apps no longer work because the physical/digital field is no longer being populated. Use of these smartapps was always somewhat iffy. Not all switches supported them and if the message was passed through a repeater the distinction would be lost. This is why some people said that the double tap smart apps worked great and other people said they never could get them to work. Even if the people had exactly the same devices, just a slight change in network configuration might cause one group to fail.

As of 2016 there are now a couple of different model switches which capture the double tap action at the switch itself and then use ā€œcentral sceneā€ command to send a specific code to the hub to tell it that a double tap was performed. These are much more reliable than the old software only methods. As of this writing, the central scene method is available on both the homeseer switches and the newest is zwave plus GE switches, as well as some smaller brands. So if anyone is interested in double tap functionality specifically, I would look for one where it is the switch itself that does it, rather than using a double tap Smartapp. :sunglasses:

1 Like