Limit to # devices in a scene?

I’ve decided to stop worrying about the Z-wave repair errors. All devices are mains-powered Z-wave Plus. All devices are working. I’ll revisit after the holidays.

As to my issue with “lights out”, I had one switch that was always either switched off a minute or more after everything else or wasn’t switched off at all.

I’ve hacked this by setting up the Alexa routine as follows:

• Turn off the kitchen lights (5 real, 1 virtual switches)
  • Turn off the problem switch
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Turn off the living room lights (10 real including the problem switch, 1 virtual)
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Turn off the outside lights (8 real, 5 virtual)

This has worked a couple of nights in a row which is better than anything before.

I don’t know if it’s Alexa, the hub, or my Z-wave mesh but it sure seems like it’s possible to feed commands too quickly.

1 Like

Resurrecting my own, aging, topic.

I swapped out two of the 23 Z-wave devices in my Main room for Zigbees. Replaced one dimmer and one switch.

The switch I replaced might have had a very slightly loose neutral connection. It always worked, though.

Did a Z-wave repair and still got lots of errors.

I turn installed the Z-wave switch I had removed in a spot on the other end of the house.

Another Z-wave repair was clean except for one “could not delete old routes” error.

I’ve now got 24 Z-wave devices installed with 21 of them in the main room.

After all the changes I did a Z-wave repair and got only one error message instead of the 20 or more I had been getting.

Hi Hal, I’m having a similar issue. Did you ever resolve yours? SmartThings support just told me I have too many devices in the Goodnight routine (turning off all 40-50+ lights). So going to try to modify that, probably using webCoRE to turn off lights in stages like you have done.

Two things helped me. I replaced a few Z-wave devices with Zigbee. That got me a clean Z-wave repair run.

But mostly what I did was break it up into chunks and then trigger each chunk via an Alexa routine with a 5 second pause between chunks.

I broke mine into scenes for “kitchen”, “dining room”, “living room”, and “outside”. No more than 8 or 9 devices per scene.

1 Like