Legrand Adorne paddle switch hack (convert to pushbutton)

Thanks - I’ll check if the light stays on when holding down the button (i want to say it did not work but can’t remember if I tried it this way). I’ll let you know. Thanks for the heads up on the momentary setting.

Have you tried using the adorne locator status light with an aeotec micro switch? I’m wondering if it’s possible to wire the led locator light in as well…?

I use the locator lights, but they are wired permanent on, there isn’t any way to have them controlled via the aeon modules, unless you want them to come on with the lights…

did you wire the locator lights to the aeon terminals? Wondering how best to connect it all up…

Yea, those terminals are too small, I pig tailed the hot one connection to the aeon, and another the lead from the indicator

@Mike_Maxwell Thanks for posting on this cool hack of a switch. There was a request in another thread on the H801 RGB LED Controller very cool modifications by @erocm1231 asking how the switch conversion was done on a Decora paddle because the H801 can take a momentary input to control the lights. So I made a simple video to hopefully help out anyone wanting to modify a Decora style.

1 Like

Is there a way to make the paddle switch stick to on? Basically, the push button would go off and then spring back to the on position.

Ummm…, that’s the whole point of the hack. Momentary.
You seed to set your microcontroller to support a momentary switch, otherwise it will not stay on.
Also, it should be on when pushed, and off when released.
If it is the opposite of this then you bent the wrong tab, for the adornes you need to bend the one closest to the hole in the switch for the optional illuminator.

I’m using it for a different purpose. I have an Sylvania osram bulb in a closet, so the switch needs to stay on all of the time to control it. If you flip it off and then on, it will go on. Also, I don’t want it left in the off position. This hack will basically leave it in the off position with a momentary on.

Ok, they why the heck did you bother to hack one up in the first place?
It was never intended for any use case such as this.

Personally, I would blank off the switch and install a contact sensor on the door.

I haven’t hacked one yet. I have a contact sensor, but I have a power allowance. Sometimes the time will run out. I want the momentary off. It will allow the light to turn back on if it is off.

The adornes are spdt switches, meaning if you hack one, it could be wired as momentary on, or momentary off.

Any of you looking do have a startup could probably make a cottage industry selling hacked Adorne switches on Amazon … they told me they regularly get inquiries about momentary switches yet have no product plans …

… questions I hope you all can help with …

1. Anyone know if Adorne push switches (product ASPU1532M4 ) can be hacked to make a momentary switch?

2. If you hacked it will it be 100% as reliable as the original or does the modification damage/weaken it?
    cycle through scenes, for example) I assume it would typically want to be momentary ON?

3. For a garbage disposal it needs to either be held open or latch open - I assume they won’t latch when hacked, but can you hold them open?

Many thanks!!

somehow post was messed up …

this is what was intended …

Any of you looking do have a startup could probably make a cottage industry selling hacked Adorne switches on Amazon … they told me they regularly get inquiries about momentary switches yet have no product plans …

… questions I hope you all can help with …

1. Anyone know if Adorne push switches (product ASPU1532M4 ) can be hacked to make a momentary switch?

2. If you hacked it will it be 100% as reliable as the original or does the modification damage/weaken it?

3. For a lighting controller that accepts/processes momentary inputs (to cycle through scenes, for example) I assume it would typically want to be momentary ON?

4. For a garbage disposal it needs to either be held open or latch open - I assume they won’t latch when hacked, but can you hold them open?

Many thanks!!

As Mike said in his post above, the answer to #2b is Yes. The switch is SPDT and you could wire it both ways.

#2a and #3 go together. For low currents, I do not see any degradation in reliability. However, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the hacked switch anywhere near rated currents (this includes a garbage disposal) - contacts will likely to be displaced when you do the hacking.

Can you post a link for the switch in question? If it’s an electronic switch, they can’t be hacked in this way, this is for mechanical switches only.

I’m pretty certain it is mechanical though I have not opened it. It is not a rocker switch, but a pushbutton 1-pole/3-way switch.

There is a CAD drawing of the internals on the website but it really doesn’t make clear, at least to me (but I’ve never hacked a switch before).

it is a mechanical switch, not electronic, I don’t know if it can be converted to momentary or not.
You would have to take it apart to find out.

assuming it can be, do you have experience with any reliability issues I might run into?

just found your video online - awesome, thanks! I could always use a paddle switch, though I like the push idea better.

have you used many of these hacked? Any failures?