Laggy notifications in a rush, hours later?

(Mike) #1

Hi everyone,

I have an Android and get a bunch of SmartThings (ST) notifications. I also have a Liftmaster garage door notification, which has nothing to do with ST.

About 80% of the time, I get notifications as expected… within a second or so.

But often enough, there is a really big lag. Like 15 minutes or even 2 hours. Then suddenly I’ll get notifications. Sometimes a ton all at once (whatever happened in the meantime).

I know that it’s not SmartThings per se because the Liftmaster notifications are always in the lagged-out bunch (if there has also been a garage door event, of course). I have a number of sensors around my garage, so this is often the case.

I ask here because although it’s not ST per se, I don’t know what it could be. Maybe some of you know.

It’s not battery optimization. I have both ST and Liftmaster not optimized, and it’s still happening.

For the record, I think this has only been happening the past few months. I started ST a year ago and I do not remember it being an issue at all until recently.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks if you can help!

Poorly Implemented Notifications
(Greg) #2

This used to happen to me sometimes on an android phone. It would always seem to happen for notifications that probably were sent right when I was entering/exiting my own wifi.

I would do a hard reset and it seemed to resolve itself, until the next time. I no longer have an android, but that is what I remember, hope that helps.

(Mike) #3

Hi Greg, I will try to keep it in mind. My impression is that it isn’t that, but maybe I am missing something. (For one thing, I definitely get notifications which seem on time when I am away from home.)

A hard reset of the phone, you mean?

(Greg) #4

yes

I did too. But then when I got home, I’d get an extra “garage door closed” which was likely the one I didn’t receive when I left.

I have been experiencing this recently (last 7 days). Notification has been very delayed.
Strangely it is the door closing alert.
Example, I get the door open alert almost immediately. Then the door closes very soon after (as I leave the house). But the door close alert comes 1/2 hour later.
This has only started about 7 days ago.
The new firmware maybe??

(Chris) #6

I experienced this yesterday for the first time. When I got home I got several notifications, some that I was expecting nearly an hour earlier. Most were ST but there was also a severely delayed IFTTT notification in there too.

(Mike) #7

My laggy notifications might occur more often when I leave home, but it is definitely not the only thing. Which probably means it is not the main thing.

Right now I am staring at the ST app which is registering that a motion detector event went off. But I am not getting the notification. I have been at home since 7 pm yesterday, 16 hours ago.

Does anyone have any more ideas on what could be causing this lag? I could try to test something right now, while it’s in the lagged state, if I knew what to test.