LABS RELEASE: Quirky Pivot Power Genius

I’m also having trouble with this. ST doesn’t seem to be communicating with the quirky power strip any more.

Luckily, I’m only using the strips in accessory places. Hopefully this gets addressed shortly.

What exactly is not working? Please explain in detail.

Also,
Please submit these issues formally to support@smartthigns.com.

Thanks,
Twack

Hey @wackware

The commands do not turn on/off the power strip. If you go to things view and select the tile to turn it on, the device does not respond. When I go to add a new quirky device is also gives me a “Error: No Connection” message. I’ve seen this issue on a SmartApp I had created that was having duplicated code due to the recent release. Can you give that a quick check.

@thegibertchan, did you remove the devices and re add them using the new Quirky app in the dashboard? (the connect apps cannot be uninstalled at this time, so you’ll have multiples)

I haven’t removed/re-add. I’m afraid that would make matters worst.

Waiting to hear what’s the status on this before I go into deep troubleshooting.

Gilbert,
If you go to setup do you see your quirky devices listed? Are you able to add new or remove existing ones? If your list is empty I think you are still using the first release of Quirky app, which is now not functional. You’ll have to install quirky app fresh and add devices again.

Is Quirky smart app working for anybody? I suddenly lost all quirky power strip in the app device list, and I cannot find the app at all. outlets still show up in things panel but it doesn’t control them at all. I know there’s has been some change going on on quirky / wink side, but i wonder if that affected and broke quirky app in smartthings. I waited for spotter integration but it seems that things are going backwards.

Hmm, that’s odd. Mine seem to be working properly (at this point). I may be in for a surprise if mine get an update that you’ve already been pushed. I guess I should find out within the next few days.

I tried logging out and back in on my app but it didn’t fix the problem, so I’ve inquired support email.
Hope it’s only a temporary glitch, as I’m using quite a lot of quirky power strips to control lights and stuff.

Welp, mine broke today. Same as your experience.

I had to delete the broken app and added the quirky strip back. To uninstall the broken one I had to remove quirky outlets from smartapps, actions and dashboard, then I added quirky strip device again and had to re-create my recipes again. It’s quite cumbersome when you have 8 strips (therefore 16 outlets!) to configure. This was my 2nd time I had to go through this, and I hope it’s last.

@wackware have you seen this too? You are the resident expert.

That did the trick @esung. Although I only have two strips, it’s cumbersome to re-add them like you said. At least I was able to delete the previous non working connect app now too.

Does anyone know if the power strip updates it’s firmware automatically or is the only way to contact Quirky?

My issue is that the strip doesn’t seem to be reporting the status properly to the smart things app. Earlier in the forum I think someone was saying that it maybe a firmware issue.

My thought though is that the problem is with smartthings because, the quirky app always seems to be reporting the switch status proper, but smartthings app never seems to update unless you manually click the refresh button when looking at your list of things. After you refresh within the app it will report the status correctly. The other reason I think it’s the smart things app is because you can toggle the stitch on and off and once you do that once it will report proper.

My theory is that when you have pre-programed senero turn off the switch, it’s not reporting the proper status to the app. EG, when my presence tag leaves the hub, turn off the switch. In this case the switch will turn off as expected however the app will always report it’s on until you click refresh.

My work around is to have “modes”, and other automated actions control these outlets exclusively. For example I have two lamps plugged in, and I have them to automatically turn on after sundown while motion is detected then turn off when there is no motion sensed for 30 min. This works perfectly and I ignore the status’ that the app tells me. It would just be nice to for it to work proper.

Anyone else experience this?

And for the third(?) time my power strips are no longer controllable via SmartThings and checking the installed connect app has a blank page where one would select power strips to add. Can anyone give some details on why we have to keep removing and re-adding the power strips in SmartThings?

Quirky pivot powerstrip smartapp broke again for me, for third time, and it’s driving me nuts. Powerstrip outlets added via app still shows up in the things list but unresponsive, and Quirky smart app doesn’t list any of my strips. So I have to remove outlets from all other smart apps using them and re-add them again. I have 8 total pivot strips (16 outlets) and I wonder if Quirky smart app has problem handling that many outlets. Whatever it is, annoying and frustrating for sure.

I believe pivot firmware updates by itself while idle. You may have to power off - on to take effect but mostly it seems to happen in bg.

And along with my total failure problem, status report is also what’s been quite unreliable in smarthings app. I hope these problems may be addressed sooner than later.

A bit of an update on this. I removed the pivot power strips from the SmartThings network then added them back. It seemed to be working properly for about a day or two but then went back to being unreliable. Pretty sure now that its the SmartThings app opposed to the quirky device because the quirky app works perfectly so nothing is wrong with the hardware.

Another update on my pivot power problem. After removing the power bars from the system and adding them back they worked pepper for about a day then stopped reporting the status again. What I find crazy with this is that I have a harmony remote any can setup automation and it works to turn on and off proper so harmony must be getting the device status proper. Also I’ve been using work arounds to control the outlets with Ifttt, and it is working correctly.

So my conclusion is that it must be the Smartthings app that is the problem. My theory is that Smartthings is outsmarting themselves by only sending an off command if it thinks the device is on. So if it already thinks the outlet is off it won’t send the comma to turn it off. The problem is that sometimes it’s actually on. The reason why Ifttt and harmony work is because when it is supposed to turn something off it sends the off command regardless of the status. Maybe this is a more primitive way of doing things but it works. I know some Smartthings devices will send the command regardless I the status, locks for example.

Has anyone expairamented with adding these devices using the API. Perhaps to make them send the on and off commands regardless of status.

My power strips all stopped working, again for the 4th time. Now I need to hunt them down, remove and uninstall, install and add them back to rules and organize. The usual pain. I don’t even expect correct status reporting. I just hope this kind of buggy behavior could be eradicated.
It was around the time when smart app slow processing problem was notified and I wonder if there is any correlation.

This behavior is due to the Quirky subscription dying on the Quirky side. I’ve figured out a method to try and keep them alive in the update that will be submitted to ST by Monday.

1 Like