KWh Demand Control

Hello! I’m looking at installing solar power at my home. If I do install it, I will be placed on a demand based power rate plan. One big price tag contributor is a load controller that is part of the system. The load controller is $2700 and its purpose is to shut down large loads in the home (like air conditioning, dryer, etc) in order to keep KWh demand from the power company under a limit. In other words, I am charged heavily for KWh ‘spikes’ in my usage from the grid during peak hours. Ideally for me, I don’t want to demand more than 3KWh from the grid during peak hours (I don’t want to sustain a draw of 3KW for an hour).

What I like to find out is if there is anything that can measure my demand from the grid (I know the electric meter does, but I don’t know how to get information from it) and feed that demand info to SmartThings. I could use that information to control loads myself presumably for much less than $2700 and fully integrated with what I have already built.

Anyone have experience with this?

@TheSmartestHouse has the aeotec monitor that might be what you are looking for:

1 Like

Also if you’re looking to monitor those larger appliances individually, the Power Switch would be a great fit:

1 Like

I installed the 3 clamp version of the Aeotec at a friends villa in Spain. it measures power inform the grid, power generated by the solar array and the power demand by from the house. Using this he can set the rules for things like the pool heater so it only comes on if there is enough solar to power it. Works pretty well. WE also used the Fibaro universal binary sensor to give him 3 temperature measurements. pool, pool heater output and ambient air.

2 Likes

This really looks like a great solution. I assume you put those clamps around the incoming feed from the power company and it broadcasts the instantaneous measurements to the ZWave receiver?

Does this install inside the home breaker panel?

yes, the clamps install in the home breaker panel as you suggested.

Is the installation and/or user manual available online for this product (pdf or similar)? Those generally tell me exactly what a product does, how it is installed, and any prerequisites.