Kuna lights

Understood. I didn’t buy mine from the kickstarter campaign. I waited until Amazon was carrying it as a regular product. Not a perfect guarantee but for the price, something I’m certainly willing to try.

Gotta love Amazon. They took back my GoGoGate like 6 months after I bought it because I was unhappy. I try to stick with them.

1 Like

The fact that they do not support local video recording is a killer for me. Probably offering a cloud based recording is a sustainable model for them.

As mentioned else where, there are actually a few products that “don’t have local streaming” however, a lot of them you can ‘fix’ that :wink:

That being said, it’s a risk that the same could be done with these, I’m tempted…

@JDRoberts:

Hey JD, any idea what’s the max watts of LED supported by Kuna lights? Can’t seem to find the information. Will appreciate your help.

The installation guide just says 60 W equivalent, incandescent, LED, or CFL.

Thanks a lot, JD. 20 chars. Any suggestion on the bulb (the one you are using?).

We just used a standard 13 W CFL that we happen to have in the pantry stock. Nothing special, we have a few extra bulbs in there from buying three packs.

1 Like

Tomorrow is the big day when the kuna’s get connected. Will report back how it goes…

3 Likes

First impression:;

Pretty good looking and picture quality is reasonable. Functional part to follow. Click on the picture.for some reason the picture is skewed in the community web site. This is with no camera adjustment.

3 Likes

I pre-ordered some of these back in February and they finally arrived yesterday. All in all, I think there is soem real potential here, but there are a couple of things that I’m concerned about:

1. The connection back to home base is an OpenVPN vpn tunnel. I will be putting these on a separate wifi network. I don’t trust these devices NOT to become a vector onto my home network.

2. I understand the benefits of the cloud for the less technically savvy, but I’d prefer that my video wasn’t out on the Internet and I’m technically able to manage access and recording of that if the option was given to me. I feel like I’m ‘renting’ these relatively expensive devices because if I want to use the recording functionality at all I have to pay them money. This is even a strategy. They know they can make it available they don’t want to.

3. The only way to manage the light itself is via the app. I was thinking I might be able to use SmartThings and a scene controller to give me light switch capabilities, but that’s not really a priority for them and while they have it on the radar, I don’t get the sense integration is a high priority. It’ll take some getting used to not being able to use the light switch by the door to turn on the light. I’d actually like to see them develop something that allows the light itself to be full time powered and passed light on/off via bluetooth or wifi or something. That would solve this. Again, it’s a ways out though.

So, I’ve said lots I don’t like and you’d think that I was unhappy. I’m not. It’s just not the product it could be and I’ll make decisions with these things in mind. They’re not going anywhere any time soon. I’m just hopeful that some of this stuff gets addressed sooner than later.

2 Likes

As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t put home automation on the same Wi-Fi network as anything that’s of any privacy importance to me. But everybody has their priorities.

I’m still waiting for my flics to arrive, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to set up a flic to turn on the light Through the Kuna app. It’s still won’t be integrated with SmartThings, but it will give me a physical button control for the light that won’t turn off the camera.

Do you already order flic? Once you get it, please do share your experiences…My neighbors already complimented the Kuna looks! :wink: but I didn’t explain the functionality to them though! :wink:

I’ve got some Flics coming too… I hadn’t thought of that possibility. I’m wondering how likely it is that that would work.

Yeah, we got several compliments on the lantern already from people coming to the house who had no idea it was a camera. But our prior lantern was a ugly white globe so pretty much anything would’ve been an improvement. LOL!

As far as the flics, it’s one of the only products I’ve ever backed pre-release. I was really impressed with the engineering and the solid backing, and I thought they were far long enough in the process that I would only have to wait a few months.

However, hardware is hard, and there have been a number of slippages. Mine is now supposedly “ready for shipment” but like I said I still don’t have them. I’ve got my fingers crossed that they’ll come in September, but we’ll see. If you order them on Amazon now they changed the expected ship date to the end of October.

The bronze one is much better looking then the black one! :wink:

Thank god that there are not many (in fact not all) false alerts. WAF pretty high… Occasionally crashes in iOS. Reported it to their support and immediately got a response back that they are aware and improving the iOS app. By crash I meant one recoverable crash since I installed. Would be fantastic if ST hooked up with them. I guess the stupid Wink and Nest is what they are touting as of now…

100% with you @oilerfan21!

@smart is it just me or isn’t it a bit of a design flaw that the bottom of the light takes up about 33-50% of the image? I feel either the light portion should have been made shorter or the camera should have been extended further down.

The camera angle is adjustable by up to 40°. At my house, the camera doesn’t show in the picture at all, but the lantern is fairly high and we did angle the camera down because our goal was to catch the area right in front of the door .

So I think it just depends on what you’re trying to capture and how you adjust the camera.

Yeah I knew it was adjustable but I feel that they way I’d design it is with the camera at the horizontal level, the light still wouldn’t be visible at all or at a very minimum.