Kichler Controller and Smarthings

I’m new to Smartthings (actually very new, It’s in the mail!)

In terms of home automation, I’ve decided to go with Smartthings because I would like to automate things inside my home (motion sensors, door locks, water sensor, etc). My interests, however, are also for automating outdoor lights, outdoor speakers and outdoor camera’s in my backyard.

Does anybody have any experience with a Kichler (http://www.kichler.com) controller in conjunction with Smartthings? My contractor is recommending this controller: Design Pro LED Controller (http://www.kichler.com/products/product/200w-dc-led-controller-15dc200.aspx). The manual stipulates on page 10, 11 that it supports ZWave and such so I think that is good.

So from my beginner understanding, the Smartthings hub is also a controller. So how does that work? Do I need to “link” them together? Is that “smart” for my setup?

Or should I not even go for the Kichler controller and have Smartthings manage it?

Are your outside lights on switches or outlets? If so change them to zwave and let st do the control

Yep - use one or the other. IMHO, if you will be using that to do scenes or different scenarios it may be the way to go. If you want all on/off at the same time ST will do it fine - and much cheaper. If different sections on/of at different times, then you need that controller. To achieve it with St you would need multiple transformers. (assuming it’s a low voltage setup).

Are your outside lights on switches or outlets? If so change them to zwave and let st do the control

They are but I also have another zone where they are not on a switch (yet). But I get your point.

Yep - use one or the other. IMHO, if you will be using that to do scenes or different scenarios it may be the way to go. If you want all on/off at the same time ST will do it fine - and much cheaper. If different sections on/of at different times, then you need that controller. To achieve it with St you would need multiple transformers. (assuming it’s a low voltage setup).

I think I’m leaning towards on/off at the moment. Thanks for explanation.