Keen vents, Hub or no hub?

Looking at picking up some Keen vents, do I need or want their hub?

It looks like ST would take over as the app to control them…but do I lose out on options by not getting the hub?

Is it better to have the hub like Philips Hue???

I also have an Ecobee3 that I have in ST also.

2 Likes

I am using 3 of them without hub no issues at all, going on 3 months

Just ordered 4 without a hub, now I wait to see when they will be delivered.

I have 10 and jsut use ST for control. I have the hub but never plugged it in

great to hear…do they run on their own, or thermostat?

Example. I get that they will open and close depending on the room temp I set…but, if the room is cold will it trigger the thermostat to turn on?

These will not run on their own, for best use a source of temperature must be available in each room that a vent is installed in. You could certainly use these temp sensors to force the main stat to call heat, but this only makes sense if your existing thermostat isn’t in a good location. But that automation has nothing to do with the vents themselves, and the vents themselves with out having an automation to control them won’t do anything other than offer a basic level of manual flow balancing via the mobile app.

1 Like

I have Ecobee3 sensors in most of the rooms that the vents are going in to. I should be able to use those to trigger the heat/cooling.

I purchased a bunch of vents as well recently. I reached out to Keen and was told that they are hoping to ship in February. Also, they told me that if you are using ST then the hub is not needed. Some good news though is that they said they are currently working on Ecobee3 integration that should be released by the time they ship.

WOW…February, did they say why the delay?

No, couldn’t really get an answer from them on that. I know the website says Winter but when I bought them about a month ago I assumed that would be like December. I guess February is technically winter. What really sucks is that they charge you right away when you pre-order, so they’ve got quite a bit of my money for about 5 months for free.

Just an update, I was told a few days ago that it is actually going to be March now due to “high pre-order demand.” If there is one more delay I’m just cancelling. I have over $1,000 tied up in a product I can’t have yet.

so last week I got 3 of them. One of them eats a set of batteries in 24 hours and says the temp is either 32F or 400+F. emailed support Sunday, and have gotten nothing back. :frowning:

I had such hopes

Where did you get them from? Are they shipping some out already?

I got them at the local Lowes. Got the last ones.

Check this out:

Officially approved by Keen.

Keen is about to release an official integration with Ecobee3 using their sensors. No need to that app.

No need if you’re an Ecobee user…others here will still find it useful. :slight_smile:

Hi,

My zoned heating/cooling smartapps allow to use any ST connected sensors (motion, temp, presence and even contact sensors) to control the vents (not only the limited ecobee’s remote sensors).

I’m in contact with Keen Home, and they won’t allow this kind of control.

BTW, the ecobee3’s remote motion capability is not meant to be used for real-time HA scenarios, so if you’re planning to use them for controlling the vents, it won’t work well. It’s an Ecobee API limitations, see

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Ecobee3RemoteSensorInit#Known_issues

On top of it, my zoned heating/cooling solutions have a lot of features that no other smartapps can do:

• Set your thermostat to Away or Present based on any ST connected sensors
  • Control your fan based on indoor sensors (temp differential between sensors)
  • Avg calculations based on any ST connected temp sensors to adjust the setpoints (like the follow me features of the ecobee3, but with the added concept of zones)
  • Alternative cooling
  • And much more…

So, I guess my smartapps are there to stay for a lot of ecobee (and Nest) users out there…

You can download my smartapps (now, not in 1 or 2 months) at my store:

Regards

Now the Keen website says shipping Spring 2017!

just got mine (2 vents) last week. Finally. This preordering is painful.