Jerky fades with dimmers (using "fade to level" in core)

The scenario is:

Porch light defaults at 15% and turns on automatically at dusk.
If someone approaches the porch, the motion sensor fades the light to 100%.
If there’s no motion after 4 minutes (default reset time), the light fades from 100% back to 15%.

It works, but the “fade” is not as expected. Instead of a smooth fade, it does 3 stairstepped levels. Which function in CoRE will do a smooth fade?

It may be easiest to adjust the parameter for dim speed in the switch itself. I have done this on my GE dimmers with this “hack”. Its not straight forward and takes some tinkering but it works…

Thanks, but I don’t think this addresses what I’m experiencing. In CoRE, automating the “fade to level” doesn’t appear to do any ramping whatsoever. It jumps from level-to-level one second at a time.

For example, in my piston above, it will jump from 15% for second#1 to ~60% for second#2, then 100% for the final jump.

Apparently this is not an issue with an older firmware version (3.0D). That version does indeed ramp when receiving level commands from CoRE. Newer firmware (3.0E) does not ramp, which I assume I have without removing the switch to look on the back.

I’m going to play around with Enhanced Dimmer Switch and see if anything can be done there. Also waiting for sunset to try “Smart Porch Light”, a SmartApp by a user here.

Rumor has it Gen5 (Z+) dimmers do ramping between levels, maybe someone can confirm.

Just remembered… Try this DTH. It works without tinkering. You only have to use it for configuring the parameters, then you can switch back to your original DTH:

1 Like

I’m using a GE 12724 Dimmer, and a Monoprice motion sensor. The Fibaro dimmer probably won’t fit in my box, especially behind a paddle. (old house) But wow, Fibaro really got it right there. They must be listening to us.

@pizzinini Enhanced Dimmer Switch can’t quite do it either. I’ve used this in the past to remove the dimming effect, but what I want here is to add it when changing levels. It looks like the ramp effect in my dimmer only engages when turning the switch on or off. It does not ramp when setting a level via software, meaning changing the stepsize and duration will have no effect there.

Any updates? I struggling with the same thing in my theater room.

Ok, so is there any advantage to just changing it to “set to level” in core and changing it in the device handler? Would this allow a smooth fading transition?

Yes, we are confined to the hardware limitations of the device.

Ok, so the best option is to increase duration?

I’m still having issues with my GE dimmers. Are there any good decora style dimmers that fade properly right out of the box with core?

The Fibaro dimmers can I think. Haven’t tried them myself.

What about the Leviton DZ6HD-1BZ? Does anyone have any experience trying to create smooth automation transitions with this dimmer?

I’m fine with it always fading at the same rate. I guess I was wondering if there were any other dimmers that allow the fading to be handled on the hardware side so I can just us “set level” in core. I’ll take a look at the Fibaro. Thank you.

Years later I found the solution for GE setLevel ramps.:grimacing:

Param 6, value =1

1 Like