Items stopped responding

Hi Joe, I didn’t see your reply. Please use Reply in the individual post instead of using Reply at the bottom of the thread. That will notify the person that you’ve replied to their post/questions. It helps a lot.

I’d let support know what happened to you (support@smartthings.com). If your sensors didn’t work, but your switches did, something weird happened. Maybe they can dig deeper into your situation. You could have a switch not routing zwave messages correctly, or a problem in your mesh that needs resolved. Have you done a zwave repair lately? Also, do you see any error messages in your hub’s event log similar to “Err 113: Not reporting switch status”?

If you haven’t done a zwave repair, I’d recommend it. Also, do it via the IDE and then monitor the hub’s event log. Doing a zwave repair via the phone app does not provide the detail you’ll need to help diagnose problems.

I started realise vie ide. And will send a support ticket soon and see if they could see. So far nothing is showing up in progress.

Just showed zwNwkRepair and value of failure

If you can, please show all the detail you can. A screenshot would be perfect.

Sorry Joe, but those screenshots via your phone aren’t very informative. I really need to see more of the Displayed Text column because of the detail it has. Please go to a PC or tap on that entry in the column to see the detail.

Here’s more info that will explain those messages, and what to do to fix them:

Ok soon as I try and figure out my last set of smart switches. Figures last one would be problem. It clicks but does not come on

1 Like

I didn’t know it deleted the log. Have to try later.

Well, nothing is working for me as of last night. Went to bed around 10:00 and ran my Goodnight routine, I got a text that a window was left open from my CoRE Piston which was correct, but it didn’t go into Night mode, no lights turned off… Ran it multiple times, nothing…

This morning I tried it again, nothing, lights don’t even respond to being turned on/off through the app. I rebooted the hub, no luck there either.

In fact in my SmartTiles app, it shows some lights as being on (when they are not) and others that are off (when they are on)

Just initiated a z-wave repair and only got a single entry

The only thing I did yesterday out of the ordinary was I installed a new Iris Water Sensor and setup a Piston to monitor it.

In the past, I have never had to do a z-wave repair when adding new devices, not sure if adding this new device played a part in it but at least the z-wave repair seems to have worked

Oh ST…
Rick

That’s a zigbee device, so doing a zwave repair didn’t do anything for you related to that specific device.

I recommend giving support an email because you’re experiencing something they should know about, especially since SmartTiles and Routines are failing on you.

FWIW, everything in my environment is working well (best ever actually).

Hey John,

Yes, it’s a zigbee device and shouldn’t have an effect, usually someone would ask, what changes were made and what did you do, just trying to give you all the details :slight_smile:

Rick

1 Like

No worries @Toy4Rick, I can see support asking you that. It’s almost like your hub went offline and didn’t come back, or your internet connection crapped out. Anything odd in your hub’s event log?

Things worked fine at a few mins before sunset when my lights came on

This shows in the IDE log just after that, not sure what it means

Then got this right before we went to bed when it was not working

Then this started this morning after I got up and started messing with it. Is it possible a hub update got hung up?

Rick

Have you tried a hub reboot? In the 9 months I have had ST twice I had nearly no responses from devices, and a reboot of the hub resolved it.

Once it was just zwave devices (Hue and zigbee was fine) and another it seemed like everything. Livel ogging showed that it was trying to work, but nothing was (not that many error messages if I recall, just calls with no responses.

Hey Ben,

Yes, hub reboot didn’t help. I had to do a z-wave repair.

ST support got back to me and they said that a z-wave repair didn’t work for them either as the z-wave module wasn’t responding, they rebooted the hub several times and then the z-wave repair worked. They asked me to test out some lights manually and using Routines, all seems to be working now.

I’ll see what they have to say next

Rick

The zwave module not working makes me think the reboot didn’t clear what ever was hanging it up. When my zwave was acting up a remote reboot was not working. I unplugged ST (no batteries) for about 10 minutes then hooked it all back up, everything came back to life.

Luckily this has only happened twice.

That first screenshot is saying you have a zigbee device 6ACE joining back up to your hub. Clicking on the detail (left column) will tell you specifics. Here’s an example of a GE bulb rejoining:

That message is coming from some type of network/LAN device connected to your hub. I typically see a similar message when ever my Samsung HD Pro Camera detects motion or I’ve viewed the camera through the app, but that’s just my theory and haven’t had time to prove it. It could also be my Blink cameras. Do you have an IP connected device to your ST hub, like certain bulbs, Harmony, Sonos, or some type of camera?

This is the standard log entries after the hub restarts, or even after it lost Internet connectivity. Here’s what mine looks like after I restarted my hub. The HubUpdated messages does not imply it got an update:

I bet if you disconnect your Ethernet cable from the hub that you’ll see the same hub events.

Glad support got back with you, and that things seem to be working.

Hi John,

No IP based devices at all, just zigbee and z-wave.

I wasn’t doing anything with the 6ACE (guest room window) device last night so not sure why it was joining back into the hub.

I’ll keep an eye on things and see what happens

Rick

Looking at the hex IP address (7F000001) of that entry, it’s coming from 127.0.0.1, which is your local host.

I did a little more reading up on this from a couple other discussions, and it seems that devices on the same network as the ST hub are talking to it. I just discovered that my Samsung TV is reaching out to my hub:

I remember a while back there was a post about the event log getting flooded with these messages, and it seemed to cause no issues.

I’ve found that sometimes zigbee devices fall off of ST’s mesh, and when they send any updates to the hub, like a temperature change, you’ll see events like this. I believe it’s the result of enabling unsecure rejoin on the hub via the utilities page. At least that’s my theory…

Hope things stay settled down for you!

1 Like

Interesting, my Samsung TV is also showing up in my logs now that I look for it, as well as my local host as you pointed out.

I also found another zigbee device rejoin today. This may have been going on all along and I just never noticed it, more than likely I saw it but didn’t know what it was nor what to look at to hunt it down, your info John has given me something new to watch for

Would be interesting to know why the TV is trying to communicate to the hub, even though my TV is not HA enabled

Thanks a ton
Rick

1 Like