Issues With Zigbee Sensor(s) Battery State Reporting?

It may be helpful to note that smartthings has its own architecture which puts a layer of abstraction over the top of the third-party protocols like Zigbee and Z wave. In the following graphic, the actual Zigbee communications are down at the “hub connectivity” level. The DTH is an abstraction layer one above that. (“physical graph“ in this graphic was the original URL for the smartthings cloud.)

A DTH (Device type handler) is a smartthings construct. For basic terminology and terms, see the following FAQ. Although it’s old, the concepts still apply for now with regard to “hub connected“ devices like your sensor. (The topic title is a clickable link)

Zigbee itself is pretty straightforward and it’s easy to find resources on that. Smartthings uses both the Zigbee 3.0 profile and ZHA 1.2. I may be mistaken, but I believe your tuya device is using Zigbee 3.0 and the other older devices are using ZHA 1.2

One of the odd things about the smartthings architecture is they just sort of randomly chose terms from the other protocols, but then use them in new ways. So for example they will say that a Zwave device has “clusters“, which it doesn’t (clusters is a Zigbee term). And then “clusters” as smartthings uses it are not identical to the zigbee profile clusters. You will find the actual Zigbee clusters for your device in the “raw data“.

So I just wanted to mention all that before you start researching, because with your technical background you might find a Zigbee reference and then think that applied directly to smartthings, which it doesn’t, because of the abstraction layer. :thinking:

I don’t know if the fact that your different sensors are probably using different zigbee profiles has any significance or not, but I did want to mention it.

1 Like