Thank you again for helping. No change in behavior with the new driver. (I excluded the device, factory reset it, re-included it.)
The app and tile can correctly drive/ control the two relays just fine.
However the physical switch input on the device for ‘switch1’ does not send back any signal that it changed state. From the discussion, it sounds like this is just a finicky and picky device overall. I’ll find some time to cut power and replace it all with a zooz at some point. (Which I now have in hand.)
I may have a small clue on this issue, and am happy to pull more data if it helps.
I have two RSM2-plus switches. With one, after a few add/remove cycles I was able to add a child switch and everything seems awesome. With the other, nothing that I tried - including all of the attempts posted above - would recognize the child switch. I did find one material difference between the two units: firmware.
The WSM2-plus that associated well is newer, while the unit that didn’t work was purchased in 2016 (older). It looks like the many of the attributes are different between the two, including firmware, Product Type and Product ID.
I may try buying a new RSM2-plus to confirm that newer firmware works as expected. Again, happy to experiment if it helps anyone.
TLDR; I have two Enerwave units both sold as RSM2-plus, but they appear to be potentially significantly different. I’m wondering if this explains why some folks have no issues using the Edge drivers and others have problems.
I’m confused. Up until now, I thought everyone was talking about the RSM2 relay. What’s the brand of the WSM2 you’re referring to?
Facepalm. That’s what I get for rushing. We’re talking about the RSM2-plus dual relay from Enerwave. I’ve edited my post to fix my error and clarify the differences. Apologies for adding noise to the thread.
Also, in your screenshot those two devices are different product types and have different commandset listings on the endpoints. It’s not just a firmware number difference.
Yes, that’s my point. It seems like there are at least two versions of the RSM2-plus. Even the packaging is slightly different between the two.
To add to the strangeness, they both seem available for purchase on Amazon. I used (old) and (new) terminology in my previous post, so I’ll continue with that convention.
Those are two different devices with different specifications. They aren’t even the same physical size, one is square and one is not. And one has two relays with a max of 4 A per relay, while the other has two relays with a max of 10 amp relay. Oh, and the second one is ETL certified and the first is not.
They also have different, but similar model names.
While it does seem like they have different model numbers, both generations have the same model number in the Amazon title. Both the ZWN-RSM2 and ZWN-RSM2-PLUS are Z-wave Plus devices. Both versions worked fine with the same Groovy driver previously. The difference in device package was obvious (as previously mentioned), though keep in mind that most folks install these in switch boxes behind switches so they are out of sight. Given what appeared to be identical part numbers (though I acknowledge they are not identical) I believed them to be identical from an interface/Z-wave perspective, though it’s now clear that they’re not.
I really just wanted to help out, and thought that what seemed like inconsistent driver/integration issues might be due to differences between the two variants. Contributing to this community has turned out to be a lot more effort than I expected.
I appreciate that, and I’m sure the people looking at the issue will find it helpful to know that it’s occurring with another model. It’s just that the difference between the two that you described is likely because they are two different models.
Amazon product description titles are notoriously inaccurate for all kinds of reasons, including just translation errors, but even then every character of a model matters, so just the fact that one had -NEW“ at the end does make it different.
In any case, it’s good that you identified the one that is having the issue. It might just be a fingerprint problem.
Can you verify what’s in the manufacturer and model fields at the advanced page of the web UI to your account for the two different devices:
If those are different then they are definitely going to be treated as two different models by the edge Drivers. If they are identical, then there’s something else going on.
p.s. i’m sure all this seems really annoyingly nitpicky. I was a network engineer before I first started using smartthings for my own system, so it all seems very natural to me to check every specification, and every letter and digit of every field. But I know most people don’t think that way. However, the software that runs the home automation systems does, so that’s why we have to get down to that level when we do run into a problem.